This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.579 / 53°34'44"N
Longitude: 0.116 / 0°6'57"E
OS Eastings: 540189
OS Northings: 411233
OS Grid: TA401112
Mapcode National: GBR YW71.XS
Mapcode Global: WHJK0.R9FM
Entry Name: Tower of Former Low Lighthouse
Listing Date: 27 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346603
English Heritage Legacy ID: 166548
Location: Easington, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU12
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Easington
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Easington with Skeffling All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
EASINGTON SPURN POINT
TA 41 SW
14/7 Tower of former Low
Lighthouse tower. 1852 with later water tank. For Trinity House. Brick
with ashlar facing. Tapered round tower with entrance to east. 4 storeys,
surmounted by water tank. Stepped base approximately 4 metres high, short
projecting timber platform to square-headed entrance with quoined surround,
blocked windows with eared and shouldered surrounds, coved cornice.
Cylindrical water tank surmounted by railings. The last of a series of Low
Lights erected since the C17, (and as such a successor to the earliest
lighthouses in the country), it was approached by a foot bridge from the
peninsula. Superceded by the new Spurn Lighthouse (qv) and ceased operation
in 1895. Subsequently used as explosives magazine and water tower.
G de Boer, A History of the Spurn Lighthouses, East Yorkshire Local History
Series No 24, 1968, pp 59, 64-6.
Listing NGR: TA4018911233
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings