This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.8468 / 53°50'48"N
Longitude: -0.1873 / 0°11'14"W
OS Eastings: 519351
OS Northings: 440472
OS Grid: TA193404
Mapcode National: GBR WR4Y.7S
Mapcode Global: WHHGD.3K2V
Entry Name: Church of St Alban
Listing Date: 16 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346630
English Heritage Legacy ID: 166717
Location: Withernwick, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU11
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Withernwick
Built-Up Area: Withernwick
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Withernwick
Church of England Diocese: York
WITHERNWICK CHURCH LANE
TA 14 SE
3/41 Church of St Alban
Church. 1855 incorporating fragments of medieval decorative material. By
Mallinson and Healey. Banded pebble and reddish-brown brick with ashlar
dressings and Welsh slate roof. Gothic Revival style with recticulated-type
tracery throughout. 4-bay nave with south aisle, south porch and north
vestry, 2-bay chancel. West end has buttresses with offsets. Large 3-light
pointed window in double-chamfered surround under hoodmould with face stops
and brick relieving arch. To west end of aisle an ogeed lancet in double-
chamfered surround. Nave has end buttresses with offsets. South aisle: to
second bay gabled south porch has pointed-arched, double-chamfered opening
with hollow-and-roll moulding to head under hoodmould with reused medieval
face stops. Within a pointed, studded double plank door in moulded
surround. Stone coping to gable. To first bay a 2-light window otherwise
3-light windows, all in double-chamfered, 4-centred surrounds. North side
has buttresses with offsets. To 2 westernmost bays are 2-light pointed
windows in double-chamfered surrounds under hoodmoulds. Otherwise vestry
has plank door in ogeed surround; to east end a 2-light pointed window in
double-chamfered surround. Nave has ashlar copings, and twin-light, gabled
bell turret to east apex. Chancel has buttresses with offsets. To south
side a plank priest's door in ogeed surround otherwise 2-light, pointed
windows in double-chamfered surrounds. East end has similar 3-light window
under hoodmould with reused face stops. Ashlar copings. Cross at apex.
Interior. 4-bay arcade of double-chamfered pointed arches on octagonal
piers with moulded capitals and bases. Double-chamfered, pointed chancel
arch, octagonal responds, moulded capitals and bases. C19 octagonal font on
shaft. Neoclassical wall tablet, to Matthew Topham d 1823. Fragments of
medieval zigzag in the outer north side wall towards west end and to south
porch. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and The East Riding, 1978, p 372.
Listing NGR: TA1935140472
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings