This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7136 / 53°42'48"N
Longitude: -0.0354 / 0°2'7"W
OS Eastings: 529757
OS Northings: 425923
OS Grid: TA297259
Mapcode National: GBR XT6H.4J
Mapcode Global: WHHH1.FXDG
Entry Name: Winestead Hall Hospital Office and Service Block
Listing Date: 30 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346631
English Heritage Legacy ID: 166639
Location: Patrington, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU12
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Patrington
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Winestead St Germain
Church of England Diocese: York
PATRINGTON WINESTEAD LANE
TA 22 NE
(north side, off)
3/62 Winestead Hall Hospital
office and service block
Stable block, now hospital office and service wing. 1762, attributed to
John Carr of York, for Sir Robert Hildyard. Alterations and additions of
1930s and later. Red brick in English bond, Westmorland slate roof; wooden
clock turret with lead roof. Classical style. U-shaped on plan, with
blocked former central entrance to rear courtyard. One and half storeys.
South front of 7 bays with second and sixth pedimented bays breaking
forward. Plinth. Blind arcade of full-height round arches with ashlar
impost band and rubbed-brick arches. Central former entrance arch with
inserted door in rendered brick blocking, C20 doors in rendered surrounds to
bays 1 and 7, 18-pane sashes to remaining bays with sills and rubbed-brick
flat arches. First floor: short 8-pane sashes to bays 4-7, tripartite
sashes to bays 1-3 in widened openings, in similar surrounds to ground
floor. All windows are C20. Moulded wooden cornice and pediments. Hipped
roof. Central clock tower of 2 stages: square-section first stage with
recessed half-columns at angles carrying moulded segmental pediments and
domed roof, circular belfry with colonuade carrying plain frieze, belled roof
with ball finial and wrought-iron weather-vane with gilded weathercock.
Left and right returns, of 3 bays, have similar blind arcading: right return
has central door, 18-pane sash to right, partly-blocked window to left, 8-
pane first-floor sashes; left return has similar ground-floor and first-
floor sashes, with inserted sashes to central bay. Rear has datestone above
blocked central entrance inscribed: RH ; door to right (west) wing with
keyed flat arch. Formerly served as stable block and grooms' quarters for
the Hildyard country house known as Red Hall, demolished 1936-7, the site of
which is still visible to the south. The design of the block and clock
tower is similar to those by Carr at Heath Hall and Ormesby Hall, North
Yorkshire. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding,
1972, p 371; York Georgian Society, The Works in Architecture of John Carr,
1973, p 35.
Listing NGR: TA2975725923
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings