This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5324 / 53°31'56"N
Longitude: -0.6582 / 0°39'29"W
OS Eastings: 489033
OS Northings: 404805
OS Grid: SE890048
Mapcode National: GBR RWVL.9G
Mapcode Global: WHGGK.VGRW
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 6 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346835
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165752
Location: Messingham, North Lincolnshire, DN17
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Messingham
Built-Up Area: Messingham
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Messingham Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SE 80 SE MESSINGHAM TEMPERANCE AVENUE
4/52 Church of the Holy
Church. C13 nave arcades, Cl4-C15 reset windows. Tower rebuilt late C18,
remainder largely rebuilt 1818-21, with restorations 1890 and vestry of
1894. Coursed ironstone rubble with dressed stone band to rebuilt portions
of tower, aisles and south porch. Ashlar dressings, slate roofs. West
tower, 4-bay aisled nave with south porch and vestry adjoining north aisle,
2-bay chancel. 3-stage tower has chamfered plinth, quoins, west lancet to
first stage, flat band, circular window, moulded string course, round-headed
belfry openings and moulded cornice, coped battlements and crocketed
finials. South aisle has quoins, 3-light square-headed windows with C19
tracery, a pointed west window with C19 intersecting tracery, dripmould and
headstops, and an east door and 2-light square-headed window with
Reticulated tracery; parapet and finials. North aisle has quoins, 2- and
3-light square headed windows with C19 tracery. Clerestory has triangular-
headed 3-light windows on north side. Chancel has square-headed 2-light
windows and a pointed 3-light past window with early Perpendicular tracery,
dripmould and headstops. South porch has moulded pointed outer door and
pointed double-chamfered inner door. Interior: north arcade has pointed
double-chamfered arches on octagonal central pier, outer cylindrical piers,
keeled east respond and filleted west repond. Later C13 south arcade has
double-chamfered arches on filleted quatrefoil piers with keeled responds.
Plain moulded capitals and bases throughout. C19 chancel arch, tower
doorway and segmental-headed openings into south aisle. Decorated aumbry in
chancel. Fragments of C14-C16 stained glass to east window and aisles.
Monuments include: 1759 slate and ashlar wall tablet to Rev John Farrand
with broken pediment, urn and carved cherub's head base; 1770 marble
monument to Mary Farrand with coat of arms and urn on pediment, by J Wallis
of Newark. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England; Lincolnshire,
1978, pp 315-6.
Listing NGR: SE8903304805
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings