This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6828 / 51°40'58"N
Longitude: -0.3568 / 0°21'24"W
OS Eastings: 513698
OS Northings: 199502
OS Grid: TQ136995
Mapcode National: GBR 51.QPZ
Mapcode Global: VHFSF.RYRV
Plus Code: 9C3XMJMV+47
Entry Name: Wall Hall (The Mansion)
Listing Date: 12 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346897
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164093
Location: Aldenham, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, WD25
Civil Parish: Aldenham
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Aldenham
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 19 NW ALDENHAM WALL HALL
6/45 Wall Hall
- (The Mansion)
Former country house, now used as a college. C18 core, greatly
enlarged 1802 for G.W.Thelluson, extended c.1830 for W.Stuart and
altered early C20 for J.P.Morgan. Brick, cement rendered. Slate roofs.
Picturesque Gothic probably influenced by slightly earlier Hilfield
Castle, Hilfield Lane, Bushey (q.v.). Entrance front: originally 3 bays,
6 windows roughly symmetrical. 2 storeys. Central entrance: partially
glazed timber doors with Gothic tracery. c.1830 porte-cochere with Tudor
arches, triple arcade to front, crenellated parapet. Pinnacles to corner
turrets and above intermediate buttresses. First floor centre: small
window with pointed head, flanking cross windows all with hood moulds.
Crenellated and machicolated parapet, raised to centre with 2 pinnacles.
Tall turrets in 3 stages flank entrance bay: octagonal to left, round to
right, incised crosses and slit windows and crenellated parapets,
machicolated to right. Flanking bays: 2 windows each. Corbel tables link
first floor windows. Left end square turret with octagonal bartizan. To
right octagonal turret to c.1830 3 storey addition has corbel table over
ground floor, plain parapet. To centre full height projecting bay with
crenellated parapet. Octagonal bartizan surmounted by decorated chimney
to return angle. Multiple square and octagonal stacks. Left return: 6
windows, 2 to centre in a full height canted bay with 3 stage
buttresses. Ground floor projecting bay to left and further towards rear
a 3 storey addition. Continuous crenellated parapet. Right return: 3
windows, ground floor canted bay, angle buttresses, 2 bartizans. Simpler
towards rear with sashes in reveals with Tudor arched heads. Linked to
rear left is library of c.1830. 2 storeys, gabled roof. Canted bays with
traceried full height windows to 2 sides to garden, flanking 3 light
windows with stone mullions and surrounds, leaded panes. Buttresses.
Crenellated parapet. Crowstepped gable end parapet with ridge finial.
Linked to right is a glazed early C19 pergola, formerly part of a
conservatory. 8 bays articulated by buttresses with crocketed pinnacles.
Remains of C18 roofline and C19 brick additions to rear. Interior:
panelled entrance hall with 4 centred arched vault to ribbed groined
vault. Neo-Jacobean panelling and woodwork. Library with 4 centred
arched vault, moulded beams, central wrought-iron chandelier, arms in
stained glass. House once known as Aldenham Abbey. H.Repton advised on
garden 1803. (RCHM Typescript: Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TQ1369899502
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings