This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6717 / 51°40'18"N
Longitude: -0.2175 / 0°13'2"W
OS Eastings: 523359
OS Northings: 198500
OS Grid: TQ233985
Mapcode National: GBR B3.9TS
Mapcode Global: VHGQ5.57WS
Plus Code: 9C3XMQCM+M2
Entry Name: Knightsland Farm House
Listing Date: 20 May 1949
Last Amended: 12 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346930
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164277
Location: South Mimms, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, EN5
Civil Parish: South Mimms
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: South Mymms
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 29 NW POTTERS BAR ST. ALBANS ROAD
8/224 Knightsland Farm
(Formerly listed as Knightsland
- II* Farm and Barn to N.W.)
House. C16 origin, rebuilt c.1600. Refaced late C17, altered mid C18,
extended C19 and C20. Timber frame, cased in brick, tiled roof. Hall
with single long crosswing to right. 2 storeys and attic. 3 windows to
main range. Entrance to right of centre with porch. Glazing bar sashes
under cambered brick heads. Brick plinth. Continuous plat band between
storeys, stepped up over rear, original, entrance. Roof hipped at
junction with wing. Single gabled dormer to front with 2 light leaded
casements. Left gable end stack. Crosswing with large gable to front and
hip to rear. Ridge lower than main range which appears to have been
built over earlier wing. Catslide to right over C20 extensions.
Crosswing probably extended to rear with single storey C19 dairy
extension to right. 2 large stacks and 2 similar dormers on right return
of crosswing. To rear in re-entrant angle full height square stair
turret with separately gabled roof. Rear has glazing bar sashes and 2
more dormers. Interior: through passage with panelled screen to hall.
Re-set linenfold panelling with C17 fluted pilasters to panelled
chimney-piece on ground floor to rear of crosswing. Original
semi-octagonal stair with square newel post. At top original doorway
with 4 centred arch and moulded jambs. Clasped purlin roof. Principal
features of interest are wall paintings of c.1590-1610 on first floor.
In main range: 4 panels representing the parable of the Prodigal Son. In
crosswing: a brocade pattern with floral frieze. By tradition Admiral
J.Byng lived here c.1750 during the erection of Wrotham Park (q.v.).
(RCHM Typescript: VCH(Middlesex)1976: Pevsner 1977: Trans.EHAS, vol.9,
Listing NGR: TQ2335998500
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings