This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5429 / 53°32'34"N
Longitude: -0.1276 / 0°7'39"W
OS Eastings: 524171
OS Northings: 406765
OS Grid: TA241067
Mapcode National: GBR WWKG.5Q
Mapcode Global: WHHHZ.06JT
Entry Name: Church of Saint George
Listing Date: 4 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346948
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164377
Location: Bradley, North East Lincolnshire, DN37
County: North East Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Bradley
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Little Coates St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TA 20 NW BRADLEY CHURCH LANE
2/12 Church of Saint George
Parish church. C13 tower, nave and blocked north arcade; C14 porch and
chancel south window. Alterations of 1776 included removal of north aisle.
Re-roofed in 1860s. Late C19-C20 restorations include rebuilding nave east
gable, buttresses to chancel, new north and east windows. Ironstone rubble
and squared blocks; brick to upper stage of tower, east end of chancel,
north wall and east gable of nave; limestone ashlar dressings. Slate roof.
West tower, 3-bay nave with south porch and single-bay chancel. 2-stage
tower: quoins, narrow square-leaded west window; plate-traceried belfry
openings with twin lancets, those to south and east with pierced lozenge
above. C15-C16 top section with cornice, gargoyles to west, and coped
embattled parapet. Outline of steeply-pitched former nave roof visible on
east wall. Nave: lancet and restored square-headed 3-light mullioned window
to south. Blocked north arcade of central round arch flanked by pointed
arch to left and lower portion of high pointed arch to right, with weathered
plain moulded capitals to coursed ashlar responds. Brick and rubble infill
to arches with restored C18 2-light mullioned windows. Buttress to south
between nave and chancel with chamfered plinth and set-off. Chancel: ashlar
quoins to lower section, brick above; concrete buttresses to south and east
walls. Square-headed 2-light trefoiled window and low blocked pointed
chamfered door to south side. C19-C20 pointed 3-light east window with
intersecting tracery and re-set medieval carved head above. Porch has
pointed moulded outer door, stone bench seats inside and pointed chamfered
inner door with moulded imposts. Interior. Tower open to nave: pointed
chamfered tower arch with plain moulded corbels at impost level. Pointed
chancel arch of two orders, outer plain, inner chamfered. Flat 5-bay nave
roof with tie beams and butt-purlins. C18 panelling and box pews with tall
carved poppy-head bench ends. Fine C14 octagonal font with moulded
pedestal, column and bowl with carved traceried side panels bearing
inscription "Pater noster ave maria and criede leren ye chylde yt es nede".
N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978,
Listing NGR: TA2417106765
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings