This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9299 / 51°55'47"N
Longitude: -0.3384 / 0°20'18"W
OS Eastings: 514344
OS Northings: 227014
OS Grid: TL143270
Mapcode National: GBR H5Z.Z4Y
Mapcode Global: VHGNR.2RYD
Plus Code: 9C3XWMH6+XJ
Entry Name: Court House
Listing Date: 9 June 1952
Last Amended: 24 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1347082
English Heritage Legacy ID: 163100
Location: Offley, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG5
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Offley
Built-Up Area: Great Offley
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Offley
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
OFFLEY HIGH STREET
TL 1427 (East side)
12/90 No. 33
9.6.52 (Court House (formerly listed
as Post Office)
House. Late C14 open hall house with contemporary 2-storeys jettied
crosswing on roadside to W, early C17 chimney and floor inserted in hall
and front wall below jetty rebuilt leaving shallow jetty. Restored and
rear crosswing added 1972-3. Timber frame roughcast, with upper floor of
wings dark weatherboarded. Steep old red tile roofs. A 2-bays medieval
hall with base-cruck central truss, spere-posts define cross-passage at
E end with service rooms presumably on site of modern rear crosswing.
Front range had central entrance on W with evidence for 2 rooms
separated by a passage in the middle. Rooms probably a parlour and a
shop. Chimney inserted in lower bay of hall backing onto cross-passage.
The W front has a roughcast ground floor and dark weatherboarded 1st
floor with a shallow jetty on 2 curved brackets. 2 windows to each floor
and central entrance. 2-lights flush casements and horizontally boarded
door. Gabled dormer to S roofslope of hall range. Interior has exposed
frame and roof with hall only half floored now. Collar purlin roofs
contemporary in both old parts with short square crown-posts with caps
and bases of 3 chamfered mouldings, 4-way bracing, smoke-blackening
(slighter in crosswing), and splayed and tabled undercut scarf joints
with central square peg in arcade plates and shared wallplate/tie-beam
at junction of ranges. Curved wind-braces from backs of heavy,
base-cruck truss with collar and arched braces supporting collar
carrying crown-post. Spere posts have pronounced jowls. Similar
collar-purlin roof to W cross-wing of 2-bays with taller posts with same
ornamental square part with cap and base moulded and heavy
square-section 4-way bracing. Added purlin and inclined queen-post in
each slope. Marks on heavy flat irregular cross-joists of floor for
jetty-beam further back within room. Mortices for brackets to front now
gone, and for a central passage giving onto a room on each side. Stair
in position of present winding stair in NE corner of wing. Chamfered
lintel to open fireplace in hall. A fine and complete C14 hall house.
(Pevsner (1977)265: RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL1434427014
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings