This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8051 / 51°48'18"N
Longitude: -0.3552 / 0°21'18"W
OS Eastings: 513504
OS Northings: 213104
OS Grid: TL135131
Mapcode National: GBR H7J.T6J
Mapcode Global: VHFRV.SWLM
Entry Name: Flowton Priory
Listing Date: 27 September 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1347198
English Heritage Legacy ID: 163615
Location: Harpenden, St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL5
District: St. Albans
Civil Parish: Harpenden
Built-Up Area: Harpenden
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Harpenden St John
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 11 SW HARPENDEN WEST COMMON
5/81 Flowton Priory
House. An early C16 Priory, moved from Ipswich in 1925, extended
and altered in same style, and sold in 1933. Timber frame. C20
red brick nogging and plinth; upper floor with plaster infill.
Plain tile roof. Long, 2-storey range, lying SW-NE, the entrance
at the NE end. Single storey and attic T-shaped extension at SW
end. Leaded casement windows throughout. Entrance side has wide
door arch with a bracketed 5-light oriel above. Left side has 2
2-light casements on ground floor and above these 2 smaller
original 2-light casements. Right side is a projecting gable end
with jettied upper floor and gable. Curved tension braces.
Canted C20 ground floor window; 3-light upper floor casement.
NW elevation has 2 gable ends similar to front one,the left one
with an 8-light ground floor casement and 4-light upper window,
the right one with a 1st floor square jettied oriel flanked by
early ovolo-mullioned 2-light casements. 5-casement windows in
centre. The gable jetties have C17-style strapwork consoles.
Some original carved wood lintels. SE elevation has 3 gable ends
in stepped formation. The centre one is to a late-C17 stairwell,
but the detail is C16 style. Right gable has a 2-storey square
window bay. C16 mullioned window to left of stair bay. Left
gable has mullioned and transomed ground floor lights and a 1st
floor square oriel flanked by small C16 lights. Similar consoles
and carved lintels to NW side. Interior displays original floor
beams,and wall partitions. N ground floor room with good early
C16 stone fireplace surround and hood. Some C16 stained glass
heraldry, including arms of Cardinal Wolsey. Late C17 staircase
with replacement balusters. (Pevsner (1977)).
Listing NGR: TL1350413104
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings