This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8059 / 51°48'21"N
Longitude: -0.3693 / 0°22'9"W
OS Eastings: 512526
OS Northings: 213169
OS Grid: TL125131
Mapcode National: GBR H7H.PG1
Mapcode Global: VHFRV.KW30
Entry Name: Rothamsted Manor House
Listing Date: 19 October 1953
Last Amended: 27 September 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1347199
English Heritage Legacy ID: 163617
Location: Harpenden Rural, St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL5
District: St. Albans
Civil Parish: Harpenden Rural
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Harpenden
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/01/2013
TL 11 SW
Rothamsted Manor House
(Formerly listed as Rothampsted)
Large manor house, now a hall of residence. Largely mid-C17
(payments for bricks 1648/9, 1653) for Sir John Wittewronge.
Some C16 timber frame inside. Extended on NW for SirJohn Bennet
Lawes in 1863. Interiors remodelled for Sir C.B. Lawes-
Wittewronge c.1900-10. Dark red brick. Plain tile roofs. The
C17 house is F-plan, the long part being the S range. The 2
wings on the NW had the recess between them enclosed in 1863 when
the W range was extended by 2 bays. 2 storeys and attics. S
range is double pile. 9 broad mullioned and transomed casements,
all with original oak frames and leaded lights. Square 3-
storeyed central porch-tower, flanked on the 1st floor by 1-
window recesses. The 2 bays either side have wide shaped attic
gables, the outer ones wider. Scrolled brick sides. Triangular
and segmental pediments. Continuous moulded brick cornice.
Plain 1st floor band. The ground floor windows have segmental-
headed relieving arches. Doric style cut brick porch with
bulging pilasters and simple entablature. Original oak door with
moulded panels. At the S end is 1 bay of a loggia, formerly
open, and returning for 3 bays on the S elevation. Chamfered
arches in square relieving frames, the brick painted white.
Above the porch are the arms of Wittewronge in a sunken panel,
and at the top a C19 wooden and leaded Gothic style cupola. The
W elevation is 5 windows, the 2 large windows on the N a
remodelling of 1900 by T.G. Jackson. 3 elaborate cut brick
gables on right have scroll-shaped sides and pediments, the
middle one with Ionic pilasters flanking the attic windows.
Gable pattern continued for 2 1863 bays. Cartouche in centre,
dated 1665, was added in 1906. The E side forms an open
courtyard, partly closed by the projecting bay of an L-shaped
mid-C17 service wing on the N. This wing is timber frame with
red brick infill, but has a mid-C18 facade towards the courtyard,
with parapet, floor band and 5 C18 casement openings. Segmental
arch to carriage way, the outer side with timber frame and
adjoining C17 doorway. Main ranges of house have some C17
Interior: The hall has reused mid-C16 linenfold panelling,
incorporating a frieze with heads, brought from Clare, Suffolk.
Morning room to N of hall has stone fireplace from Rawdon House,
Hoddesdon; white and black marble. Former dining room to S of
hall has mid-Cl7 panelling with fluted Ionic pilasters. Beams
plastered with running motifs. Stone Jacobean chimney piece.
Behind panelling is a remarkably complete scheme of late C16 or
early C17 wall paintings. Small room at S end of W range has C18
or C19 gilded wallpaper with painted flowers and good C16 chimney
piece and overmantel. Large dining room beyond is in an
extravagant 'Jacobethan' style. Linenfold panelling to doors and
walls. Large central fireplace with black marbme columns and
rich overmantel. Library wing at N end added in 1910 by V.T.
Hodgson and incorporates the most elaborate fireplace from Rawdon
House: grotesque caryatides of satyr and nymph,overmantel with
scenes of satyrs playing musical instruments. Leading off from
hall is a 1678 staircase. Open well. Tall shaped finials to
newel posts; tapering balusters with arches between them. Walls
from 1st floor to attic have painted relief of balustrade.
Similar smaller staircase E of hall, also with some painted
relief. The Pink Room on 1st floor has fireplace from Rawdon
House with animal carvings in overmantel. Good C17 doorcase to
main 1st floor landing. Another fireplace in The Brown Room.
(RCHM (1910), Pevsner (1977), RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL1252613169
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings