History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Harpenden, Hertfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.817 / 51°49'1"N

Longitude: -0.3582 / 0°21'29"W

OS Eastings: 513265

OS Northings: 214427

OS Grid: TL132144

Mapcode National: GBR H7J.07X

Mapcode Global: VHFRV.QLZF

Plus Code: 9C3XRJ8R+RP

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 26 July 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347212

English Heritage Legacy ID: 163572

ID on this website: 101347212

Location: St Nicholas's Church, Harpenden, St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL5

County: Hertfordshire

District: St. Albans

Civil Parish: Harpenden

Built-Up Area: Harpenden

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Harpenden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


(north side)

16/37 Parish Church of
St Nicholas


Parish Church. C15 W tower. Remainder of church rebuilt in
polychrome early-Gothic style by W. Slater in 1862. N aisle
added 1898-9 by R. Brown and Sons. E end of church reordered in
1962. The tower, which was restored in 1980, is flint rubble
with stone and cement dressings. 3 stages. Large stepped angle
buttresses. Octagonal stair turret at SW angle. Crenellated
parapet. Lead spike. Moulded cement bands and plinth. W door
has deep hollowed surround. 3-light window above with cinquefoil
lights. 2-light belfry window with trefoiled lights. Hood
moulds. Rest of church is rock-face stone with smooth stone
dressings. Flush sandstone bands and polychrome arch heads.
Machine tile roof. Simple bar tracery windows in a mid-C12
French style. Aisle windows are 2 lights with quatrefoils;
transept ends 3-light; E end with 5 lights and an oculus with 4
quatrefoils. Interior has a 5-bay nave. Drum sandstone piers
with moulded bases and leaf-carved capitals. Aisles have broad
arches on E and W sides of transepts, each with continuous roll
mouldings. Chancel has 2 bays either side, each with a drum
pier. At W end of S aisle is a good C12 Purbeck marble font:
octagonal with 2 shallow pointed panels on each face; 8 round
supporting colonettes. Brasses: 1456 to William Anabull; 1559
to William Cressye, both near pulpit. Good C18 and early-C19
wall monuments on N and S interior walls of tower including (N
wall) large monument to Godman Jenkyn (d.1746): obelisk with
armorial plaque, sarcophagus base with lobe fluting; black and
white marble. C18 monument above with fluted Doric pilasters and
broken segmental pediment. S wall has 6 smaller wall plaques.
(Pevsner (1977)).

Listing NGR: TL1326514427

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.