History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hinxworth Place

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hinxworth, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.0409 / 52°2'27"N

Longitude: -0.1952 / 0°11'42"W

OS Eastings: 523883

OS Northings: 239597

OS Grid: TL238395

Mapcode National: GBR J6B.5G9

Mapcode Global: VHGN7.KYNS

Plus Code: 9C4X2RR3+9W

Entry Name: Hinxworth Place

Listing Date: 19 November 1984

Last Amended: 4 March 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347346

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162230

Location: Hinxworth, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG7

County: Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hinxworth

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hinxworth

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in


in the entry for

(east side)
Hinxworth Place

the item shall be amended to read

Hinxworth Place


(East side)
3/118 Hinxworth Place


Manor house, now two properties. Late C15. SE wing added in C16. Whole
house rewindowed early-mid C17 and extended with lean-to at rear. Clunch
walls. Flint rubble plinth. Plain tile C18 hipped roof with 2 3-light
leaded casement dormers. 2 storeys and attics. The front (NE) elevation
has 4 mullioned and transomed stone casements, the upper floor with 3
lights, the 2 left-hand ground floor windows with 4 lights and moulded
cornices. Original door towards right has pointed arch in hooded and
moulded square frame. An original cinquefoiled 2-light window to right
of door. The other C15 windows were reset in lean-to at rear, 4 windows
in all, 1 at side of lean-to and others at rear. At left on front is a
blocked door with moulded depressed arch. The wing has plastered and
jettied upper floor. 5-light mullioned and transomed window to ground
floor SW end retaining some original armorial glass. C16-17 external red
brick stack on NW side. SE side has a C16 4-centre arch door and a
restored 3-light mullioned window. 1980 lean-to extension on front.
Interior: hall to left of door was built as 2 storeys with heavy moulded
floor beams. Large fireplace, now blocked. Adjoining door is a timber
partition with 2 4-centre-arch doors to former service rooms. In room
above are extensive c.1500 wall paintings. Red ochre brocade pattern on
yellow background. Above the fireplace are many graffiti in an early
script. Another stone fireplace in passage above hall. (RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL2388339597

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.