This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0267 / 52°1'36"N
Longitude: 0.0411 / 0°2'28"E
OS Eastings: 540134
OS Northings: 238441
OS Grid: TL401384
Mapcode National: GBR L99.Z39
Mapcode Global: VHHL0.NBL5
Plus Code: 9F4222GR+MF
Entry Name: The Town House
Listing Date: 9 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1347403
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162527
Location: Barley, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG8
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Barley
Built-Up Area: Barley
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Barley
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
BARLEY CHURCH END
TL 4038 (North side)
8/72 The Town House
Formerly the Guildhall or Church House, used as a marriage feast room,
free school, almshouses and for other public purposes; now a village
hall. Early C16, altered c.1853 and c.1910. Built by the Gild of St.
Catherine. Timber frame on brick base. Plastered. Steeply pitched tiled
roof. 4 bays, that to left larger. 2 storeys. Continuous jetty to front
with curved brackets to main bearers. Ground floor: 3 mid C19 entrances
with plank and muntin doors, 4 centred arched heads, architraves, 4 two
light lattice casements. First floor: 2 mid C19 8 light mullion and
transom hipped half dormers, two 3 light casements. At each end of this
elevation are enclosed external staircases, mid C19 to right, early C20
to left, with roofs swept down from main slope, 4 centred arched
entrances with gabled heads. Inner returns have subsidiary doors beneath
stairs, upper quatrefoil lights on all return faces. Left gable end
massive original stack, exposed red brick with multiple coped offsets,
originally external, built out to front in early C20 with ground floor
flint and brick cladding. To rear a short lean-to, exposed plate and
purlin. A similar stack at right end has been incorporated into Kirk
Cottage (q.v.), exposed plate and purlin to front. To rear lattice
casements and a late C19 2 storey gabled wing with an open ground floor,
extruded red brick stack, 2 storey flat roofed addition. Interior:
ground floor exposed framing of large scantling, close studding, jowled
posts. Through passage to left of centre. Trimmer joist for original
stairs. Original shutter grooves and mullion seatings. Axial and cross
"axial chamfered bearers with carved foliate stops. Run out stop
chamfered bearer in left bay. Upper chamber: jowled posts, some arched
braces to chamfered cambered tie beams, collars to halved principals
clasping purlins. Curved windbraces, ogee to front slope only.
Continuous public use confirmed in inquests of 1609 and 1638.(RCHM 1910:
VCH 1914: J. Wilkerson, Two Ears of Barley, 1969: S.E. Rigold, The Town
House, Barley: Hertfordshire Archaeology, vol.3, 1973, p.94: Pevsner
1977: J. Wilkerson, Barley: An English Village,1979: RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL4013438441
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings