History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Grange House

A Grade II Listed Building in St Ippolyts, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.9373 / 51°56'14"N

Longitude: -0.2709 / 0°16'15"W

OS Eastings: 518966

OS Northings: 227939

OS Grid: TL189279

Mapcode National: GBR H62.JBJ

Mapcode Global: VHGNS.8K4R

Plus Code: 9C3XWPPH+WJ

Entry Name: The Grange House

Listing Date: 28 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347425

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162651

Location: St. Ippolyts, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: St Ippolyts

Built-Up Area: Hitchin

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: St Ippolyts

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in


TL 1827 (East side)
New England

8/39 The Grange House

Farmhouse, now a private house. Circa 1700 with possibly C17 part
incorporated at N. Altered c.1815 and c.1921. Renovated c.1980. Red and
blue brick, stucco decoration, slate roofs. A large 2-storeys, attics
and cellar house, set back from road, facing W. Plan of main part has
stair- and entrance-hall between 2 rooms. N end set back a little. C19
rear additions. W front of main part symmetrical, with plinth, plat
band, projecting mutular cornice, gable parapets on corbelled kneelers,
3 box dormers, 2 very wide sash windows to each floor, sash window with
3/3 panes central over entrance. Doric porch with full entablature and
half-columns. Half-glazed panelled door. N wing has a sash window with
4/8 panes with flat gauged arch on each floor. Each window of main front
comprises 3 conjoined sash windows of same size with 3/3 panes and
stucco surround. Round arched heads to central sash of each. Interior
has wide open-fireplace to internal N gable chimney. Rear-wall
projecting chimney to S room which has tunnel vaulted brick cellar below
projecting to S under garden. Cut string early C19 stair with stick
balusters. Rises to attic. Ground floor stage has been turned round. S
parlour has dentilled cornice carried round axial beam, C18 fire
surround and high dado. Internal shutters to front windows slide into
jambs like doors. 2-panel door with HL hinges. House just outside
municipal boundary of Hitchin. Named as The Old Bell House on map of
1750 in Hitchin Museum. Later called The Elms Farm. Later used as a
dower house to New England House (q.v.). (RCHM Typescript: inf the

Listing NGR: TL1896627939

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.