This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8843 / 51°53'3"N
Longitude: -0.3293 / 0°19'45"W
OS Eastings: 515083
OS Northings: 221958
OS Grid: TL150219
Mapcode National: GBR H6L.TV2
Mapcode Global: VHGNY.7WRV
Entry Name: Breachwood Green Baptist Church
Listing Date: 8 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1347430
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162796
Location: King's Walden, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: King's Walden
Built-Up Area: Breachwood Green
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: King's Walden
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 12 SE KINGS WALDEN CHAPEL ROAD
4/4 Breachwood Green
Baptist church. 1904 by Geo Baines & Son of London, Mallett & Wood
builders Luton. Red brick banded with white brick, cream terracotta
traceried windows, caps to piers and moulded copings. A tall 2-storeys
building in a free Arts and Crafts Perpendicular style, with shallow W
part, 4 windows long narrower nave, and one window long lower E part.
Adjoining on E 2-storeys 4 windows long plum brick plainer building of
1897 with engraved memorial plaques to its building. W front gabled with
very large 7 lights window with ogee traceried head under moulded
segmental arch with drip and leaf stops. Twin double doors below up 2
steps, segmental traceried heads to each with moulded drip carried up to
shield-shaped finial. Large leaf stops. Splayed brick jambs and
half-glazed panelled doors. Bold tapering buttresses flank front and
have lower hipped roofed square stair turrets to each side. Buttresses
have panelled head, wide overhanging bracketed cornice, swept pointed
lead caps and tall wrought iron finials of a standard type supporting a
circle with tendril brackets. Moulded terracotta crochet finial to
gable. Roofs of stair turrets and body of church have deep overhang
with moulded rafter ends painted white projecting beyond gutter. Stained
glass to W window and fanlights. Windows to nave at 2 levels in moulded
terracotta, 3-lights cinquefoil under flat head to 1st floor: 3-lights
with cinquefoil heads and ogee tracery under segmental heads to ground
floor. Interior: galleried on 3 sides and choir gallery at E with organ
with pointed arched recess on bold foliate corbels. Central pulpit and
railed foredeck. Posts to this taper to top with wide moulded square
caps. Ironwork tendril balusters with beaten copper hearts. Gallery
posts similarly tapered with bold square caps and arcaded panelling
pierced below rail. 5 arched trusses with tie rods. All windows Art
Nouveau stained glass features in cathedral glass field. Heart shape
cut in pew ends. Under N gallery 'Bunyan's Pulpit 1658' (in ink on back).
Square C17 oak with moulded plank door on preacher's left, shelf,
horizontal moulded plank front, seat-shelf within and moulded square
knob finial to rear LH corner on which door is hung by butterfly hinges.
Formerly in use at Coleman's Green where this church was founded. Doors
with stained glass panels and copper push plates with repouse hearts.
Listing NGR: TL1508321958
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings