This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9289 / 51°55'44"N
Longitude: -0.2318 / 0°13'54"W
OS Eastings: 521678
OS Northings: 227074
OS Grid: TL216270
Mapcode National: GBR J7N.26R
Mapcode Global: VHGNS.XSV5
Entry Name: Wymondley Bury
Listing Date: 27 May 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1347446
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162769
Location: Wymondley, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4
Civil Parish: Wymondley
Built-Up Area: Little Wymondley
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Little Wymondley
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
WYMONDLEY RAILWAY SIDINGS
TL 2127 Little Wymondley
11/157 Wymondley Bury
Manor house, now a farmhouse. Early C14 aisled hall house, floor and
chimney inserted in hall in C16, brick cased and W wing after 1908.
Timber frame, cased in red brick, steep old red tile roofs. A 2-storeys
U-shaped building facing N on a secluded moated site. Wings extend to
rear. Aisled construction of 3 bays, the W bay only floored from the
beginning, and a 2-storey unaisled E crosswing. 'Raised aisle'
construction with truncated arcade posts in open truss carried on
transverse beam as at Warden's Hall at Merton College, Oxford. Crown
post roofs above. Hall of 2 bays with large stack built in E bay leaving
a cross-passage behind it. Parlour is storeyed W bay, ground floor of E
wing has C16 service doorways but fine solar on 1st floor. N front has
low eaves to central part, 2 storeys E gabled wing, and 2 storeys and
attics W wing. Large internal chimney rises through roofslope. Entrance
beside E wing by old studded plank door in round arched entrance.
Rectangular bay window to RH, shallow canted bay to E wing, 2 small
gabled dormers on roofslope and large one over bay window, 3-lights
leaded casements to 1st floor. Large projecting chimney on E side of E
wing, and internal chimney to S extension of that wing. Bell under
timber hood on W wall of W wing. Interior has exposed framework of the
aisled hall with herringbone pattern timber infill to close-spaced studs
at upper and lower ends of hall. Cellar below W bay with alcoves in
walls. Heavy C16 fireplace beam in hall has chamfered and roll
mouldings. Recessed with shouldered lintels at 2 levels in back of
fireplace. Hall floor carried on 2 chamfered longitudinal parallel beams
with hollow stops. Massive arcade posts with hollow moulded chin to
jowls and square-section straight braces. Moulded caps and bases to the
truncated posts of the open truss. Transverse beam is a C16 replacement.
Hall central crown-post octagonal with moulded cap and base. Plain
crown-posts in end walls. Decorated crown-post in 2-bays E wing. W bay
of hall range hipped with gablet. The W wall of the W bay closed by
passing braces from aisle wall to tie-beam. Mercer comments that the
ambiguous function of the ends in conjunction with the structural
details suggests an early date for the building. Mr. Farris says that
the documents suggest this is the house called Somerhalle erected after
1373 and before 1400. (RCHM (1911)149: VCH (1912)189: Eric Mercer
English Vernacular Houses London (1975)171-1: Pevsner (1977)243: RCHM
Typescript: inf Mr. Farris).
Listing NGR: TL2167827074
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings