This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9212 / 51°55'16"N
Longitude: -0.1262 / 0°7'34"W
OS Eastings: 528954
OS Northings: 226403
OS Grid: TL289264
Mapcode National: GBR J7S.JX3
Mapcode Global: VHGNV.RZM2
Plus Code: 9C3XWVCF+FG
Entry Name: The White Lion Public House (On Corner of Winters Lane)
Listing Date: 19 October 1952
Last Amended: 31 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1347981
English Heritage Legacy ID: 159679
Location: Walkern, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG2
Civil Parish: Walkern
Built-Up Area: Walkern
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Walkern
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 2826 WALKERN HIGH STREET
7/1 No 31
(The White Lion PH)
19.10.51 (on corner of
(formerly listed as
the White Lion Inn)
Inn. C16, altered in late Cl7. Timber frame on brick base,
roughcast with weatherboarding to ends, rear and apron to S wing.
Red brick facing to centre chequered with black headers. Steep
old red tile roofs. A 2-storeys, long H-plan inn facing W, with
projecting gabled crosswings at each end, 6-windows long brick
facade in centre, and wide projecting porch next the S wing.
The central part has a large central chimney a third from S
end, and an enclosed rear gallery linking the wings. Smaller
chimney with 2 diagonal square shafts (rebuilt) at N end of centre.
C19 chimney inserted on N side of N wing. One and a half storeys
plastered extension to rear gabled stair projection. On the
W front the plastered gabled wings each have wavy C19 bargeboards
with pendants at apex and foot and a flush 3-light casement window
to each floor. The plastered porch has a C19 wide oak Tudor
arch with 2 chamfered orders and octagonal shafts, under a moulded
label. Seats flank a battened door. The brick facade has a
plinth, floorband, moulded eaves cornice, segmental arches to
lower windows, and slightly recessed Cl7 cross windows with wooden
opening lights. The 1st and 5th windows from N are painted in
plastered recesses (the 1st ground floor window has been opened
up with a matching cross window). Fine doorcase under 3rd window.
6-panel flush beaded door in moulded surround with full entablature
on heavy plain trusses. Swelled frieze and dentilled cornice
breaking forward over trusses under a triangular pediment. Interior
has exposed chamfered beams and exposed close-studding in 1st
floor of 2-bay S wing. Shield-shaped corbel supports floor beam
in 2-bay N wing. Ovolo-moulded 2-light blocked windows in upper
floor of S wall of S wing. Trimmer suggests a stair at E end
of S service wing, which has lower floor levels. (RCHM (1911)
225: Pevsner (1977) 373).
Listing NGR: TL2895426403
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings