This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8358 / 51°50'8"N
Longitude: -0.2686 / 0°16'6"W
OS Eastings: 519394
OS Northings: 216657
OS Grid: TL193166
Mapcode National: GBR H77.YQF
Mapcode Global: VHGPC.94C1
Entry Name: Shaw's Corner
Listing Date: 24 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1348110
English Heritage Legacy ID: 158278
Location: Ayot St. Lawrence, Welwyn Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL6
District: Welwyn Hatfield
Civil Parish: Ayot St Lawrence
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Ayot St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 09/03/2018
TL 11 NE
AYOT ST LAWRENCE
BIBBS HALL LANE (south side)
(Formerly listed as Shaw's Corner, BRIDE HALL LANE (west side))
House, constructed in 1902 as the New Rectory. In 1906 it was rented to George Bernard Shaw, and from 1915 the house was known as Shaw's Corner. Shaw bought the house in 1920 and it was the family home until his death in 1950.
Mauve brick with red brick dressings, gabled old tile roof. Two storeys and attics. Two parapeted gables, east one larger, and four segmental-headed casement windows. Broad tapering chimney stacks. Interior contains unaltered decoration and furniture, including many pictures and objects relating to Shaw and his work.
Listing NGR: TL1939416657
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings