This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7016 / 51°42'5"N
Longitude: -0.4853 / 0°29'7"W
OS Eastings: 504772
OS Northings: 201403
OS Grid: TL047014
Mapcode National: GBR G7C.B3Q
Mapcode Global: VHFSC.JHTD
Entry Name: The Manor House
Listing Date: 22 October 1952
Last Amended: 2 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1348423
English Heritage Legacy ID: 157598
Location: Chipperfield, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, WD4
Civil Parish: Chipperfield
Built-Up Area: Chipperfield
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Chipperfield
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
CHIPPERFIELD THE COMMON
TL 0401 (East side)
The Manor House
12/71 (formerly listed as Chipperfield
22.10.52 Manor House with railings and gatepiers)
Country house. Late medieval hall house, probably early C16 (possibly
rebuilt for Thomas Gulston, clerk, before 1591. Mundy(1963)xiii),
altered and fronted in brick for John Marriott 1714-16 (agreement with
Cock of Watford, bricklayer, HRO no.20251: '1716' on cistern),
symmetrical N and S wings added 1911-12 for Samuel Blackwell to the
older 7 window front. Red brick with hipped old red tile roofs behind
parapets. A late medieval open hall of 2 bays with 2 crosswings flush on
ground floor with hall, gabled C17 stair wing and other C17 rear
additions of 6 gables refaced c.1912. 2 storeys, 11 windows long W front
has panelled parapet, eaves band, string course and flush box sash
windows with flat gauged arches and 6/6 panes (dwg with contract of 1714
shows mullioned windows and no panels in parapet). Central doorway with
broad 8-panel raised and fielded door with flat hood on shaped brackets
with fluted pilasters and full entablature with swelled frieze. 2
windows wide projecting end wings c.1912 in matching style but with
brick cornice over 1st floor windows. Conjoined diagonal shafts to rear
wall chimney of RH part. Moulded caps to end chimneys to central part.
Interior has evidence of late medieval 2-bays open hall with crown-post
roof with plain post and 4-way bracing. S crosswing with heavy plain
joists and jetty. N wing largely gutted. Ovolo moulded beam of inserted
floor and 4-centred hall fireplace to chimney with diagonal shafts.Large
curved braces to floor beam. Present stair c.1714. Panelling with painted
coats of arms of Kettell family moved here in 1852 when Robert Blackwell
demolished the former Manor House in Kings Langley High Street and trans-
ferred it and the name to this house previously a farm known as Pingels-
gate. Panelled rooms and wall painting. (Pevsner (1977) 128:RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL0477201403
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings