This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6364 / 54°38'10"N
Longitude: -2.7267 / 2°43'36"W
OS Eastings: 353190
OS Northings: 527045
OS Grid: NY531270
Mapcode National: GBR 9GDT.GS
Mapcode Global: WH81C.2QVK
Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert
Listing Date: 6 February 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1348695
English Heritage Legacy ID: 74222
Location: Clifton, Eden, Cumbria, CA10
Civil Parish: Clifton
Built-Up Area: Clifton
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Clifton St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 52 NW CLIFTON CLIFTON
9/18 Church of St Cuthbert
Parish church. C12 with C13 and C14 additions, partly rebuilt in 1846. Red and
calciferous sandstone rubble (and some limestone), the aisle large blocks of
sandstone. Graduated greenslate roofs with coped gables, cross finial and west
open bellcote. 2-bay nave with north aisle and south porch; 2-bay chancel.
Nave walls have been almost completely rebuilt in 1846, but the porch and north
aisle appear to be C14 and original features have been incorporated in its
rebuilding. West wall of nave is partly original with stepped plinth but with
C19 2-light tracery window. South wall has rebuilt C12 doorway within porch.
Rebuilt C17 2-light stone-mullioned south window. Aisle has C14
segmental-arched doorway with hollow-chamfered surround. C17 hollow-chamfered
2-light east window with its original iron grille. Similar single-light west
window. Chancel has been similarly rebuilt in 1846 with blocked north door and
2 C19 lancet windows. 3-light lancet east window, the surrounds partly
original. South priest's doorway in partly-original shouldered surround and
2 reused lancet windows. Interior has open timber roof. Reset C17 stoup.
White marble wall plaque to Reverend Moorhouse 1818. Recut C17 font. Single
pointed arch into north aisle used as Wybergh Chapel with coat-of-arms panel and
inscription of 1738 recording the earlier marriage of the Wyberghs and Engaynes
of Clifton Hall. Recess in wall beside altar. Medieval graveslab reset in
floor. Pulpit is C19 but with C16 and C17 carved panels. Chancel has reset
medieval piscina. C19 choir stalls; onto the back of one of the stalls has been
attached an inscribed panel IBD 1683. Panelled timber ceiling. See RCHM,
Westmorland, 1936, p.69.
Listing NGR: NY5319027045
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings