This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.895 / 51°53'42"N
Longitude: -2.5034 / 2°30'12"W
OS Eastings: 365453
OS Northings: 221948
OS Grid: SO654219
Mapcode National: GBR FV.QZL5
Mapcode Global: VH86K.KMDN
Entry Name: Castle End
Listing Date: 18 May 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1348810
English Heritage Legacy ID: 155426
Location: Lea, County of Herefordshire, HR9
Civil Parish: Lea
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: The Lea
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
House. 17th century north range with added west range of c1730. Sandstone rubble, squared at front, with hipped slate roof. Two storeys and cellar, seven bays. Windows are boxed sashes with glazing bars, with flat stone arches. Three gabled timber attic dormers. Door in central bay, with architrave. Red brick chimney at right, with projecting stack, and at left. The north wall of the rear wing has timber cross-windows with leaded casements and two single-storey bay windows with similar glazing. Interior: retains many features of note, particularly in the west range, including several rooms with fielded panelling; chimneypiece to central ground floor room with Delft tile surround, Ionic half-columns, pulvinated oak leaf frieze. Main stair of oak with open string, three turned balusters to each tread, and ramped handrail. Second stair of late C17 type, with closed string and turned balusters. Extensive survival of roof structure within attic, where several C17 panelled doors remain. History: this house, originally the property of the Dukes of Kent, passed to the Nourse family in the early C18; the enlargement and modernization was probably carried out on behalf of the Bristol merchant Philip Nourse, who retired here until his death in 1742. References: John Duncumb, 'History of Herefordshire' (completed by WH Croke) vol. 2 (1871-82),402; RCHM, 'Herefordshire' vol. 2 (1932),99-100).
Listing NGR: SO6544921953
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings