This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8871 / 51°53'13"N
Longitude: -2.6838 / 2°41'1"W
OS Eastings: 353037
OS Northings: 221170
OS Grid: SO530211
Mapcode National: GBR FM.R8WZ
Mapcode Global: VH86G.FTKQ
Entry Name: Church of St Deinst
Listing Date: 26 February 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1348911
English Heritage Legacy ID: 153889
Location: Llangarron, County of Herefordshire, HR9
Civil Parish: Llangarron
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Llangarron
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 52 SW LLANGARRON CP LLANGARRON
2/85 Church of St Deinst
Parish church. C14. West tower, nave and chancel, C15 south porch, north
aisle dated 1841. Coursed sandstone rubble, ashlar dressings, slate roofs.
West tower with south stair turret and spire, nave with south porch and
north aisle, chancel. West tower: three stages, moulded plinth and parapet
above roll moulding, stepped diagonal buttresses, recessed octagonal spire,
traceried window to west with two cusped ogee lights and hoodmould, loop
vents to second stage and 2-light windows to bell chamber, square stair
turret rising as semi-octagonal above string course toward second stage level,
lit by loops. Four bay nave: two trefoiled ogee headed lights and quatrefoil
with hoodmould set in later gabled dormer window and 2-light square headed
window to west, large heavily restored late C14 curvilineared traceried
window of two cusped lights and square 2-light window to east of gabled stone
porch, doorway of two orders with chamfered jambs, quatrefoil panel in gable.
Two bay chancel: square headed 2-light window to west and further square
headed window with two trefoiled ogee headed lights flanking restored doorway.
Buttress to chancel arch incorporating a piece of earlier masonry with traces
of a Norman interlace pattern. Interior: C19 roof to nave, C14 scissor braced
roof to chancel. Chancel arcade probably of C16; central 2-centred arch of
two chamfered orders springing from moulded imposts flanked by heavily restored
smaller arches of one chamfered order; north arcade and aisle 1841.
Fittings: C14 octagonal font with quatrefoil in roundel enclosing rosette
to each facet, alternating rosette and quatrefoil to lower facets.
Wooden pulpit c1680, tall blank arches to five panelled sides, fluted
frieze, C17 communion rails with turned balusters and moulded rails reused
as screen. Monuments: cusped sepulchral recess in south-east wall of nave,
small figure on coffin-shaped slab on south wall near doorway referred to as
Chrisholm Child possibly early C14; west wall: Jane Gwillam memorial, C18
marble wall tablet, scrolled cartouche with coat of arms above; south wall:
Scudamore memorial. Early C18 scrolled and draped marble tablet with cherubs
and defaced shield by Fowler of Gloucester. Chancel east wall: Gwillym
memorial, late C17 or early C18, highly decorative marble tablet with
scrolled and draped oval inscription panel, with cherubs, cherubs' heads and
cartouche with two coats of arms.
Listing NGR: SO5303321171
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings