History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Broughton East, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.228 / 54°13'40"N

Longitude: -2.9417 / 2°56'30"W

OS Eastings: 338705

OS Northings: 481776

OS Grid: SD387817

Mapcode National: GBR 7MWK.X4

Mapcode Global: WH835.SZCM

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 25 March 1970

Last Amended: 15 February 1989

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1349025

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76917

Location: Broughton East, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA11

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Broughton East

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Field Broughton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
High Newton

Listing Text

BROUGHTON EAST FIELD BROUGHTON
SD 38 SE
2/8 Church of St Peter
25.3.70 (formerly listed as
at Broughton-in-
Cartmel)
II*
Church. 1892-4. By Paley, Austin and Paley. Dressed limestone with sandstone
ashlar dressings, tile roofs and shingled spire. Nave, crossing tower and
spire, north and south transepts with west aisles, north vestry and chancel.
Free Perpendicular style. Coped gables and ashlar bands, gutters on scrolly
brackets. 3-bay nave has gabled south porch, entrance with 3-centred arch with
continuous mouldings, foliate spandrels, and label mould with embattled returns;
niche with statue above. 3-light straight-headed south windows have
Perpendicular tracery. West end has deep diagonal buttresses and gable cross;
4-light window has mostly uncusped tracery. North side has windows of 3 and 2+2
lights. Tower has south-east octagonal stair turret; east and west lights have
cusped 3-centred heads; north and south faces have 2 straight-headed windows of
2 cusped lights, but that to south-east of one light. Bell stage has sill and
lintel courses and paired 2-light straight-headed louvred bell openings; coped
embattled parapet and recessed spire with weathercock. South transept has deep
weathered buttresses and 3-light segmental-headed window with Perpendicular
tracery; lean-to aisle has 2-cusped light straight-headed windows to west,
single light to south. North transept similar, but extended as vestry and with
asymmetrical gable, one buttress and west projecting lateral stack; east single-
and 3-light windows and re-entrant porch with buttress over. Chancel has
5-light east window with Perpendicular tracery and gable cross; north and south
2-light straight-headed traceried windows, foundation stone to east, south-west
angle has re-entrant entrance to turret. Interior: dressed sandstone, nave roof
has 2 arch braced collars and upper collars, ovolo moulded, with
hollow-chamfered purlins, the lower ones moulded, and wind braces. Dent fossil
marble font, 8-sided with simple moulding and keeled piers with shafts between;
cover of 1965. Timber pulpit, pews and wall shelves with blind tracery panels.
Crossing arches die into octagonal piers, similar arches to transept aisles.
North transept has organ, crossing choir stalls, south transept aisle has ornate
C19 font and 1898 Kempe window. Half-arch to vestry passage from chancel, which
has south sedilia and piscina with concave arches. Barrel vaulted roof with
braced collars with tracery panels, moulded purlins and ribs. Alabaster reredos
to timber altar; wrought iron communion rail has check pattern. East window
1894, by Kempe. The church has much high quality detail.


Listing NGR: SD3870581776

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.