This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2441 / 52°14'38"N
Longitude: -2.2412 / 2°14'28"W
OS Eastings: 383630
OS Northings: 260682
OS Grid: SO836606
Mapcode National: GBR 1FJ.B5Z
Mapcode Global: VH92F.3VJK
Plus Code: 9C4V6QV5+JG
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew's
Listing Date: 29 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1349352
English Heritage Legacy ID: 151718
Location: Grimley, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR2
Civil Parish: Grimley
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Grimley
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO 86 SW GRIMLEY CP MAIN STREET (west side)
2/35 Church of St Bartholomew's
Parish church. C12 origin, much rebuilt and altered; restored in 1886.
Part sandstone rubble, part sandstone ashlar, tiled roofs. West tower,
3-bay nave with north aisle, south porch, 2-bay chancel and north vestry.
Romanesque with Decorated and Perpendicular additions. West tower: C15
and much restored; 4 stages; 5 strings and diagonal buttresses with offsets.
West elevation has a 4-centred arched doorway and hood mould, and above, to
the second stage, is a 2-light window with hood mould and returns. The belfry
stage has paired, louvred, 2-light bell chamber openings and ogee hood moulds
with returns and carved finials. Gargoyles to top string beneath embattled
parapet. Nave: Partly rebuilt in C14; buttresses with offsets at bay
divisions; south elevation retains lower part of C12 buttress and indications
of blocked openings; three C14 2-light windows; aisle to north beneath cat-
slide roof and lit by three C19 2-light windows and a C19 cusped lancet at
the west end. South porch: late C19; Romanesque revival situated at west
end of nave beneath a lean-to roof; to left are steps leading to west gallery
set behind a double, intersecting arcade of round-headed arches with scalloped
capitals and moulded bases; at west end is a small round-headed window with
nookshafts of similar design to arcade. The porch projects to the right and
has a string course, round-headed archway and nookshafts with scalloped capitals
and moulded bases and a wrought iron gate. The carved details are designed to
match those of the C12 south doorway, its nookshafts now having renewed
scalloped capitals, and having a heavy roll moulding to its round archway.
Chancel: Rebuilt in C13; end buttresses with offsets; C15 3-light east
window; north and south elevations have 2 lancets, the west end lancet in
the north elevation opening into the vestry. North vestry: C19; paired,
pointed arched windows in north gable end with round-lobed quatrefoil light
above and a pointed arched, planked doorway in the east elevation. Interior:
Chancel arch, with hood mould and returns, rises from moulded corbels. Three
bay north arcade has columns with moulded caps and bases and 3 pointed arches.
C19 roofs. West gallery on 4 elaborately carved brackets; hatchments each
side. C19 chancel tiles and wrought iron altar rails. Octagonal font,
probably recut Romanesque original on new base. Late C19 carved stone pulpit.
Chancel has 2 early C19 wall memorials by Joseph Stephens; nave has 4 wall
memorials including a late C18 one by Stephens and Bott and an early C19 one
by W Stephens. Glass: two of the C14 nave windows contain some C15 glass.
Listing NGR: SO8363060682
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings