This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0076 / 52°0'27"N
Longitude: -2.1834 / 2°11'0"W
OS Eastings: 387506
OS Northings: 234366
OS Grid: SO875343
Mapcode National: GBR 1JJ.0TS
Mapcode Global: VH93M.3SKV
Plus Code: 9C4V2R58+2J
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 25 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1349706
English Heritage Legacy ID: 151289
Location: Bushley, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, GL20
District: Malvern Hills
Civil Parish: Bushley
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Bushley
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO 83 SE BUSHLEY CHURCH END
25.3.68. Church of St Peter
Church 1843 by Edward Blore with chancel added 1856 by G G Scott. Built for
E C Dowdeswell of Pull Court. Blue lias squared coursed rubble with Bath stone
dressings. 1843 section is Perp. style with nave, transepts and West tower with
broach spire. 3-stage tower with moulded West door and plaque over 'E.C.D. 1843'.
Circular openings to 2nd stage, one with clock. 2-light bell openings. Battlements
and slim flying buttresses to spire have been removed. Flat parapet and recessed
spire. Nave has 2-light windows with hood-moulds, 3-light windows to transepts. Bath
stone cornice, flat parapet formerly battlemented. Low slate roofs. Chancel is
Decorated style, elaborate with steep slate roof, crocketted pinnacles and pierced
parapet. 3-light East window with ballflower ornament. South East chapel attached.
Chancel roof of curved braces on stone corbels. Interior: chancel fittings by Scott,
including iron and brass gates, painted Italian Gothic style reredos and stalls.
Encaustic tile floor. East window of c1856. In nave 3 windows of c1850 in crudely
medieval style and fourth signed Warrington 1863. At West end a brass to Thomas Payne
d1500. Numerous Dowdeswell memorials including 3 pedimented wall monuments in nave of
1633, 1673 and 1706 and 2 matching marble monuments, c1666 and c1683, each a column
supporting an urn. In the South East chapel memorial signed J Hickey, c1775 to
William Dowdeswell Chancellor of the Exchequer 1765-6.
Listing NGR: SO8750634366
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings