History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Good Shepherd

A Grade II Listed Building in Colwall, Herefordshire,

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0882 / 52°5'17"N

Longitude: -2.3421 / 2°20'31"W

OS Eastings: 376654

OS Northings: 243376

OS Grid: SO766433

Mapcode National: GBR 0G0.2P3

Mapcode Global: VH934.CS50

Plus Code: 9C4V3MQ5+74

Entry Name: Church of the Good Shepherd

Listing Date: 19 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1349743

English Heritage Legacy ID: 151486

Location: Colwall, County of Herefordshire, WR13

County: Herefordshire,

Civil Parish: Colwall

Built-Up Area: Great Malvern

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Colwall and Upper Colwall

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Colwall

Description

SO 74 SE COLWALL CP UPPER COLWALL

4/87 Church of the Good Shepherd

-

GV II


Church. 1909-1910 by Hill Parker & Son of Worcester. Rough rubble, Bath
stone quoins, dressings, floor - band and eaves; timber-framed porch and
vestry with roughcast panels; slate roofs laid in diminishing courses;
engineering brick used as quoins and dressings to basement storey. Free-
flowing Gothic in Arts and Crafts Style. 5 bay nave, one bay chancel divided
by buttresses, slightly narrower one bay sanctuary; porch, approached by
pierced terrace, projects in centre of south side; vestry projects with organ
chamber in north transeptual position. The nave is above a meeting hall built
into the hillside. Church windows have flowing original tracery and Arts and
Crafts' panelled lead cames; heavy 3-light west window above projecting
Baptistery break: Meeting hall has plain cross mullion windows and entrance
in lobby below porch. Interior: chiefly remarkable for a complete set of
contemporary fittings with high quality carvings particularly in chancel
area. Chancel arch truss has tracery relating to fenestration. Stone
sanctuary arch with dying mouldings; wood panelling down one side of nave
but not the other; very big c1920s reredos with pewter bas relief; marbled
risers to steps. The woodwork is by R Haughton of Worcester and the builders
were Thomas Broad of Malvern. Foundation stone laid by J W Wilson of Perrycroft
(qv) on 3rd August 1909 suggests, as does the detailing, a connection with
Voysey.


Listing NGR: SO7665443376

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.