History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Red Lion Hotel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Weobley, County of Herefordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.1606 / 52°9'38"N

Longitude: -2.8755 / 2°52'31"W

OS Eastings: 340209

OS Northings: 251731

OS Grid: SO402517

Mapcode National: GBR FC.63C3

Mapcode Global: VH77K.3YQK

Entry Name: Red Lion Hotel

Listing Date: 20 February 1953

Last Amended: 10 November 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1349832

English Heritage Legacy ID: 149903

Location: Weobley, County of Herefordshire, HR4

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Weobley

Built-Up Area: Weobley

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Weobley

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SO 4051 - 4151 WEOBLEY CP BRAOD STREET (north end)

14/121 Red Lion Hotel
(formerly listed as
20.2.53 Red Lion Hotel and Barn)


House and outbuilding, now a hotel. C14, partly rebuilt C17, extended early
C19, with some mid-C20 alterations. Timber-frame with rendered infill on a
coursed rubble plinth, partly underbuilt in rubble, and extended in painted
brick. L-plan, C14 cross-wing extending to north with a short C20 link block
to the single-bay C14 outbuilding, the rebuilt hall range extends to the west
and was extended in the C18. South front of two storeys with gabled cross-wing
to right, underbuilt, with a 3-light casement to each floor. To left, three
windows, two 2-light casements and a 3-light window. Ground floor has three 3-
light casements with plank weatherings. Entrance to right of centre has a wooden
doorcase with fluted pilasters and flat canopy. There are panelled reveals and
a panelled door under an overlight. Framing of gable end is two square panels
high with the two outer panels each having a pair of curved braces forming two-
centred arches. The truss above has a steeply cambered tie-beam and two raking
struts with a central vertical strut to the collar. The east side of the cross-
wing is jettied with curved braces rising form pilasters, that to the dragon
beam on the corner rising from a moulded capital. The first floor has two
blocked windows with three trefoil headed lights and pierced trefoil spandrels.
At the north end of the ground floor a blocked doorway has moulded jambs and an
ogee-head. The outbuilding to the rear is one bay of a larger building, with two
pairs of massive cruck blades. (RCHM, 3, p 199, no 22).

Listing NGR: SO4020951731

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.