This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2735 / 52°16'24"N
Longitude: -2.1828 / 2°10'58"W
OS Eastings: 387621
OS Northings: 263940
OS Grid: SO876639
Mapcode National: GBR 1F7.DYX
Mapcode Global: VH92G.33WZ
Plus Code: 9C4V7RF8+9V
Entry Name: Nos 1 and 2 the Gatehouse About 50 Yards East of Westwood House
Listing Date: 14 March 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1350205
English Heritage Legacy ID: 148139
Location: Westwood, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR9
Civil Parish: Westwood
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
SO 86 SE WESTWOOD CP WESTWOOD PARK
4/243 Nos 1 and 2 The Gatehouse
about 50 yards east of
- Westwood House
Gatehouse. Probably 1660-70 for Sir John Pakington as part of the major
alterations to his grandfather's hunting lodge, Westwood House (qv) to convert
it into the main family home, restored by Sir Reginald Blomfield early C20.
Red brick in English bond with sandstone ashlar dressings and cross-gabled
plain tiled roofs. Flemish inspired style. Two square lodges, linked by a
sandstone archway with bold open strapwork decoration and, above, a wooden
strapwork lantern with two-stage ogee cupola. Each lodge is two storeys on
a chamfered plinth; square with rebated corners, and external chimmeys
each side with paired, diagonally-set stone shafts. Three-light mullion and
transom windows with leaded casements on both floors, beneath ornately
shaped gable with kneelers and many cut finials, and with a blind oculus in
the apex of each. Sandstone archway between has a dropped keystone, cast
iron gates with elaborately detailed upper rail and above is a fretwork
of arcades and circles incorporating the Pakington gerbes and mullets.
Lantern is supported on posts with swept braces forming a round archway;
the lantern is formed of open strapwork panelling and has a two-stage,
fishscale-tiled, ogee cupola with cut finial. Inner sides of lodges facing
drive have plain chamfered doorways set within the gates. The gatehouse
forms a dramatic entrance to the house and is an important element of
the overall composition helping to alleviate the abruptness with which
the house rises out of the surrounding countryside. The original relation-
ship was even more impressive, as shown in Kip's illustration of the estate,
c1698, for the gatehouse was linked to the main pile and the two surviving
garden pavilions (qv) by low walls to form a diamond-shaped forecourt,
itself related to the overall planting of the park. The two westernmost
pavilions and the enclosures were removed during the C18.
(CL xii, 689; Lxiv, 50, 94; cxiii, 1689; cxxxiv, 738; VCH III (i); BoE).
Listing NGR: SO8762363943
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings