This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.193 / 52°11'34"N
Longitude: -1.9623 / 1°57'44"W
OS Eastings: 402674
OS Northings: 254973
OS Grid: SP026549
Mapcode National: GBR 3K4.GQG
Mapcode Global: VHB0D.X4ZP
Plus Code: 9C4W52VQ+53
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 30 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1350229
English Heritage Legacy ID: 148275
Location: Abbots Morton, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR7
Civil Parish: Abbots Morton
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Abbots Morton
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SP 05 SW; 8/2
ABBOTS MORTON CP,
Church of St Peter
Parish church. Late C12 with mid-C14; and early C15 extensions, restoration
of 1637, C19 and C20 repairs. Sandstone ashlar and lias with sandstone
ashlar dressings, machine tile roofs. West tower, nave, north transept,
West tower: early C15, two stages, crenellated parapet, eroded
gargoyles to corners, corner pinnacles lost, diagonal buttresses, string
course; belfry stage: a window of two trefoiled lights under 2-centred
head with label; ground stage: west window of two trefoiled lights under
2-centred head. Nave: south wall C12, rest rebuilt early C15. South wall:
three bays, central early C15 timber-framed porch, mostly rendered with Tudor-
arch opening; south door: segmental 2-centred arch with moulded jambs; porch
flanked to left by single-light square-headed window in chamfered reveal, to
right a restored three trefoiled-light window under square head. North door
blocked has segmental 2-centred head, impost blocks, chamfered jambs; rest
of wall blind. North transept: mid-C14, north window: two trefoiled lights
under 2-centred head in chamfered reveal; east window: three trefoiled lights
under square head. Chancel: rebuilt to full width of nave mid-C14; two bays,
south wall: single-light square-headed window to left, to right window of
three cinquefoiled lights under square head, possibly early C16; priests'
door between has square head; north vestry late C19; east window: two ogee
trefoil-headed lights under 2-centred head, with inscription in leaded
letters above: "RL HE/ IH [IT] RE 1637".
INTERIOR: tower arch 2-centred of
two orders, continuously moulded with jambs; arch to north transept a Tudor
arch, late C19. Roofs: nave: early C15, three bays, trusses have lower collar
with solid angle braces and an upper collar; two tiers of purlins, some with
straight wind braces; divided from chancel by plastered truss with tie beam;
chancel: single bay, brattished wall plate over moulded stone string.
Fittings: C17 bobbin turned altar rails with contemporary communion table;
late C19 plain circular font in C12 style; two C15 wooden benches in porch.
Stained glass in north window of north chapel, C18 heraldic panel above two
C15 fragments; two pieces of late C16 Flemish glass in east window of chancel.
Listing NGR: SP0267554974
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings