This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8371 / 52°50'13"N
Longitude: -1.3448 / 1°20'41"W
OS Eastings: 444233
OS Northings: 326816
OS Grid: SK442268
Mapcode National: GBR 7HJ.2TY
Mapcode Global: WHDH8.9YVF
Entry Name: 65, High Street
Listing Date: 12 November 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1350329
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490139
Location: Castle Donington, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE74
District: North West Leicestershire
Civil Parish: Castle Donington
Built-Up Area: Castle Donington
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Castle Donington St Edward the King and Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
1286/0/10016 HIGH STREET
House, semi-detached with No. 67 (q.v.). 1840 and dated 1888. 1840 house for Marcus Huish, additions for Lord Donington. Red brick with with some diaper decoration, stone plinth, stone dressings (at present painted) and plain tile roof with stone coped front gable. Elaborate brick stacks, one truncated. Tudor Gothic style. 2 storeys and attic. Gable facing on right where there is the entrance within an open Gothic arch which leads to steps up to a part-glazed door. Above is a canted oriel window with pentice roof and above in the gable a single-light window with datestone above inscribed 1888 with monogram of intertwined Ds and baron's coronet. To left on ground floor a casement either side a slightly projecting stack with carved plaque at first floor inscribed MH (for Marcus Huish) and the motto 'fide et taciturnitate', and panelled brickwork above roof line and truncated flues. To far left the flat-roofed side of the extension on the garden front. The garden front has 2 large tripartite windows in an extension probably of 1888, with 2 3-light casements above and 2 small casements in the twin attic gables. The rear has slightly projecting stack, a further gable and casements and sash windows. Tall part-glazed door within Tudor-arched surround.
INTERIOR. Entrance hall has raftered ceiling and stair with pierced Gothic screen in Hopton stone. Drawing room has marble fireplace and cast-iron grate. This and other rooms have panelled doors and window reveals and cornices and other mouldings surviving. Dining room has late C19 style fireplace. The oriel room has a small mid C19 fireplace.
HISTORY. The surviving deeds show that Marcus Huish took possession of the land in 1839 and built this house, attached to the one next door (No 67 q.v.), in 1840. The freehold probably remained part of the estate of the Marquess of Hastings at Donington Hall. Lord Donington is mentioned in the deeds in 1901. He was the husband of a surviving sister of the last Marquess and was created Lord Donington in 1880 and for him alterations were probably made in 1888.
A well-detailed house of 1840 and 88 with attractive interior features surviving.
Information from the owner.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings