History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret Holy Rood

A Grade II Listed Building in Holyrood, Bury

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.537 / 53°32'13"N

Longitude: -2.2695 / 2°16'10"W

OS Eastings: 382237

OS Northings: 404514

OS Grid: SD822045

Mapcode National: GBR DWLJ.GT

Mapcode Global: WHB98.3CKB

Plus Code: 9C5VGPPJ+Q6

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret Holy Rood

Listing Date: 9 May 2003

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1350343

English Heritage Legacy ID: 490153

Location: Holyrood, Bury, M25

County: Bury

Electoral Ward/Division: Holyrood

Built-Up Area: Manchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Prestwich St Margaret Holyrood

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
Prestwich

Description


326/0/10059 ST MARGARET'S ROAD
Prestwich

09.05.03

Church of St Margaret Holy Rood

II

Church. 1851-3, extended several times 1863-1899 and restored 1985-6 after a fire. By Travis and Mangnall, restoration by E G Thorne. Rock-faced snecked stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with stone coped gables. Decorated style with buttresses and angle buttresses with set-offs. Long nave and chancel in one with gabled aisles, north porch, south-east vestry and south-west porch (now columbarium). East end has 3-light window with crocketed pinnacles rising from the diagonal buttresses. 2-light windows to sides of chancel. In angle with north aisle a bell turret with open octagonal bell openings and spirelet. North aisle has blind window to east and 2-light windows to side with gabled north porch. South side has vestry with low pitched roof and battlemented parapet to east, then 2-light window to east end of aisle which has 2-light windows to the side. South west porch has battlemented parapet. West end has 3-light window to nave with crocketed pinnacle rising from buttresses and 2-light windows to aisles.
INTERIOR. Chancel has outstanding reredos, panelling, choir stalls and other items in Arts and Crafts style, mostly designed by Dan Gibson of Windermere, made by Arthur w. Simpson of Kendal (stalls of 1897-9, rest over period to 1920) Mosaic panels above to sides of window. Marble and mosaic floor. Elaborate hammer-beam roof to nave and chancel. Richly carved west (former rood) screen also by Simpson and of 1920 has carved figures of a soldier and St.Margaret by W Aumonier. War Memorial of 1920 also by Simpson. Font on clustered columns. Stained glass in west window by Ward and Hughes, others by Shrigley and Hunt. Fine late C20 fittings include 2 paintings by Graeme Willson, a Crucifixion suspended over the nave altar and a Madonna and Child in the Lady Chapel, and also an altar and font cover carved in Dick Reid's workshop.
A well-detailed church with high quality fittings both of C19 and C20.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.