This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4915 / 53°29'29"N
Longitude: -2.0894 / 2°5'21"W
OS Eastings: 394163
OS Northings: 399420
OS Grid: SJ941994
Mapcode National: GBR FXV2.F4
Mapcode Global: WHB9J.WH6Q
Plus Code: 9C5VFWR6+H6
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 9 May 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1350353
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490163
Location: Tameside, OL6
Electoral Ward/Division: Ashton St Michael's
Built-Up Area: Ashton-under-Lyne
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Ashton-under-Lyne The Good Shepherd
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
1478/0/10025 UNION STREET
09-MAY-03 Church of St James
Church. 1863-5. By George Shaw of Uppermill. Course squared rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with stone-coped gables with finials. Decorated style with buttresses and diagonal buttresses. Chancel and vestry, north transept organ chamber and vestry, south transept, south porch, and twin west spires. Chancel has 3-light east window and small windows to side. North transept has cusped lancets and triangular window above 3 lancets to north end and lancets to sides. Gabled porch and door to west. Nave sides have 2-light windows. Double-gabled south transept has a 4-light window and a lancet to south. Small gabled south porch. 5-light west window. A very unusual pair of spires projecting from western corners of nave are square to lowest stage, then a receding ashlar broach stage becomes an octagonal tower with gableted bell stage and stone spire above.
INTERIOR. Chancel east side windows have stained glass and chancel has carved communion rails. Chancel roof has arch-braces to collars rising from stone corbels and curved and scissor braces to 2 tiers of purlins. Richly carved pulpit and resited font. Hammer-beam nave roof with arch-braces to collars and curved struts above. Stained glass to nave windows and set of pews. Memorial tablet in carved and canopied frame.
This church has the very unusual feature of small twin west spires and retains many good fittings.
Other nearby listed buildings