History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Highcroft Hospital, Main Building

A Grade II Listed Building in Stockland Green, Birmingham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5212 / 52°31'16"N

Longitude: -1.8527 / 1°51'9"W

OS Eastings: 410088

OS Northings: 291492

OS Grid: SP100914

Mapcode National: GBR 3BT.J3

Mapcode Global: VH9YQ.TWWL

Entry Name: Highcroft Hospital, Main Building

Listing Date: 9 December 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1351967

English Heritage Legacy ID: 471803

Location: Birmingham, B23

County: Birmingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Stockland Green

Built-Up Area: Birmingham

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Gravelly Hill

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Sutton Coldfield

Listing Text

SP 19 SW BIRMINGHAM HIGHCROFT ROAD

997/4/10148 Highcroft Hospital, main
building

II


Former Aston Union Workhouse. 1869 by Yeoville Thomason. Built by Jeffrey & Pritchard. Red brick with blue brick and stone dressings and bands. Tiled roofs with a deep enriched eaves cornice. High Victorian Gothic style. Slightly projecting central bay of 5 windows flanked by long ranges. 3 storeys. Brick and stone banded round-arched entrance surmounted by a Gothic traceried pediment inscribed "Aston Union/This memorial stone was laid by Thomas Colmore Esquire/Chairman of the Board of Guardians/AD 1869/Yeoville Thomason Architect/Jeffery & Pritchard Builders. Ground and 1st floor 4-pane sashes with patterned cambered arch heads; 2nd floor small-pane sashes with patterned pointed heads. Flanking ranges in similar style. Appearing from behind the entrance, the rectangular plan tower with arcaded pointed windows and pyramidal roof having a tall brick chimney stack at each angle and surmounted by a louvered cupola. Interior: Entrance hall with timber brackets supporting a currently clad stained glass ceiling, originally lit from the tower windows. 2 pointed arch doorways flank a large pointed arch over a stair to the rear recreation hall with heavy timber arch-braced open truss roof and stage.

Listing NGR: SP1008891492

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.