History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Highcroft Hospital Front Entrance Range

A Grade II Listed Building in Stockland Green, Birmingham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5209 / 52°31'15"N

Longitude: -1.8524 / 1°51'8"W

OS Eastings: 410114

OS Northings: 291458

OS Grid: SP101914

Mapcode National: GBR 3BT.L6

Mapcode Global: VH9YQ.VW3V

Entry Name: Highcroft Hospital Front Entrance Range

Listing Date: 9 December 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1351968

English Heritage Legacy ID: 471804

Location: Birmingham, B23

County: Birmingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Stockland Green

Built-Up Area: Birmingham

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Gravelly Hill

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Sutton Coldfield

Listing Text

SP 19 SW BIRMINGHAM HIGHCROFT ROAD

997/4/10149 Highcroft Hospital front
entrance range

II


Front range of the former Aston Union Workhouse (qv). 1869 by Yeoville Thomason. Red brick with stone and blue brick dressing and decoration. Terracotta plaques. Tiled gabled roofs with finials and tall brick chimney stacks. Central archway flanked by ranges each with 3 projecting and gabled bays. Equilateral arch of banded red and blue brick and stone with a moulded hood rests on stone stiff-leaf bands. Gable eaves have brick modillions and moulding. Open hammerbeam roof to the vault. Wings with pointed arch windows to all but one of the projecting bays; some with stained glass top lights. Penultimate gables with blind brick oculi. Blocking course frieze of enriched terracotta tablets. Interior: to left a blue and red quarry-tiled corridor with zig-zag patterned border. The boardroom, with Gothic window and door surrounds and roof trusses on colonette corbels, has a liver-coloured marble fireplace with an overplaque stating that the boardroom was re-erected in 1889 by J G Dunn ARIBA and P W Hipkiss.


Listing NGR: SP1011491458

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.