This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5512 / 53°33'4"N
Longitude: -2.3144 / 2°18'51"W
OS Eastings: 379268
OS Northings: 406103
OS Grid: SD792061
Mapcode National: GBR DW8C.RR
Mapcode Global: WH983.F04F
Entry Name: Stand United Reformed Church
Listing Date: 10 December 1998
Last Amended: 23 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1351972
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471808
Location: Bury, M26
Electoral Ward/Division: Radcliffe West
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Radcliffe
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Stand All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 70 NE
Stand United Reformed Church
United Reformed Church. 1885. By J.P. Pritchett of Darlington. Coursed sandstone, ashlar details, slate roof. A tall 5-bay nave with slightly lower chancel at the west end; low flanking side aisles and a 4-stage tower with spire at the SE corner. Decorated Gothic style. The main facade faces east and has entrances left and right: shallow projecting gabled porches with double doors. Two 2-light windows between the entrances, and the foundation stone with inscription: This memorial stone/ of Stand Independent Church/ was laid by/ Alexander Anderson BA Pastor/XXV July AD MDCCCLXXXV/ Joseph Bentley Esq Treasurer Building Fund/ Walter Allen Esq Secretary/ J P Pritchett Esq of Darlington Architect'. Large 5-light west window; the tower has 2-light windows, a clock and belfry stage, crocketted finials, broach spire with lucarnes. West end: 5-light chancel window; narrow doors with ornate hinges far left and right. The south side windows are in pointed arches to aisle and have square head to clerestory and chancel; all are blocked. Interior: arcades have octagonal composite columns, foliate capitals and ashlar arches; the fine timber barrel-vaulted roof has brackets carved with figures of angels. East end tiered gallery; nave pews with umbrella stands; ornate wrought iron hand rail and carved panelling to pulpit, chancel walls and organ which is by Jardine and Co of Manchester, 1898. Fine stained glass windows including west window (the Sermon on the Mount) over a terracotta panel by Roland Morris, both c1885; 4 north aisle windows and war memorial window by T Curtis of Ward and Hughes, 1895-98 and 1920. J P Pritchett of Darlington was the son of the architect James Piggot Pritchett of York. He designed a number of churches including Pudsey Congregational Church 1865-6, Ilkley Congregational Church 1868, Armley Mortuary Chapel Leeds 1885, and the cemetery chapels at Colne.
Listing NGR: SD7926806103
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings