History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Magpie Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Stonham Parva, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2016 / 52°12'5"N

Longitude: 1.0997 / 1°5'58"E

OS Eastings: 611913

OS Northings: 260461

OS Grid: TM119604

Mapcode National: GBR TKW.W9Z

Mapcode Global: VHLB0.0XPM

Plus Code: 9F43632X+JV

Entry Name: The Magpie Inn

Listing Date: 9 December 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352065

English Heritage Legacy ID: 279389

Location: Stonham Parva, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

Civil Parish: Stonham Parva

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Earl Stonham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Stonham Aspall

Description

LITTLE STONHAM NORWICH ROAD
TM 16 SW
2/138 The Magpie Inn
-
9-12-55
- II

Inn, built in 3 main stages: C15, early C16 and early C19. The C19 block was
added double-pile fashion and forms the main frontage. Painted brick. Hipped
low-pitched slated roofs with internal chimneys of red brick. 2 storeys, 3
windows. Small-pane sashes with moulded lintels. Flat-roofed C19 entrance
porch of painted brick, the fanlight with border panes and moulded lintel;
pair of half-glazed panelled C20 entrance doors. To left is a 2-cell cross-
wing of c.1500: timber-framed and plastered, the upper floor end jettied
towards the road; a fragment of a corner post beneath the jetty gives evidence
that the wing was once jettied on two consecutive sides. Plaintiled roof with
axial C16/C17 square chimney of red brick. Various C19 small-pane sashes and
casements; under the jetty is a splayed bay with sashes. Good unmoulded
framing exposed internally; a 4-centred arched doorway, and a large early C16
open fireplace with cambered lintel. The original C15 range, now at the rear,
is a 3-cell open hall house; timber-framed with pantiled roof. The hall has a
central open truss with massive cambered tie-beam and thick arch-braces.
Smoke-blackened coupled-rafter roof. The parlour cell to left has massive
exposed unchamfered floor joists and widely-spaced studwork. In late C16 an
upper floor of chamfered joists was inserted in the hall, and a chimney was
built near the cross entry; In C20 the chimney was removed and the ground
storey of the C15 building was united to form a lounge bar. "In 1481, the
Rev. John Beale bequeathed his tenement, called the Pie.... to feoffees in
trust .... in repairing the highways of Little Stonham." East Anglian
Miscellany, 1910, No.3282.


Listing NGR: TM1191360461

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.