This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.145 / 52°8'42"N
Longitude: 1.189 / 1°11'20"E
OS Eastings: 618296
OS Northings: 254431
OS Grid: TM182544
Mapcode National: GBR VN3.FFQ
Mapcode Global: VHLBF.KBGZ
Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 22 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1352128
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279623
Location: Ashbocking, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Ashbocking
Built-Up Area: Ashbocking
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ashbocking All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
ASHBOCKING THE STREET
TM 15 SE
7/4 Manor Farmhouse
Farmhouse, formerly manor house. The front range was added c.1810 to the rear
range of early C17. Front range: gault brick (now painted). Low-pitched
slated hipped roof with deep shallow eaves. 3 windows, 2 storeys. Small-pane
sashes with flat arches of gault brick; ground storey windows are set within
shallow blind arches, and the detail repeats at the end elevations. Tuscan
portico porch, and a pair of glazed panelled entrance doors. T-shaped C17
rear range: timber-framed and plastered, plaintiled roofs. A large external
C17 chimney of red brick on north side, recapped in gault brick c.1810.
Various early C19 casements. C17 close studding with arch stud-bracing exposed
internally, with much oak wainscotting at 1st storey. Ovolo-moulded 1st floor
members. In the Proc. Suffolk Inst. Arch. for 1902, a print copied by J.S.
Corder shows the east elevation before C19 alterations. A brick parapet-gable
with crowstepping shown on the print remains, truncated and remodelled, with a
plastered ovolo-moulded window of c.1600; all now within the roof space. In a
C19 granary 40m to the north is a reused section of a tie-beam, enriched and
carved with "E 1674 M". In 1674 Edward Mann, Recorder of Ipswich, lived here;
a demolished wing on the north side is possibly the source of this, and other
materials in the farm buildings.
Listing NGR: TM1829654431
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings