This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1446 / 52°8'40"N
Longitude: 1.1433 / 1°8'35"E
OS Eastings: 615167
OS Northings: 254249
OS Grid: TM151542
Mapcode National: GBR TLQ.FW1
Mapcode Global: VHLBD.RCR9
Plus Code: 9F4344VV+R8
Entry Name: Stonewall Farmhouse
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1352152
English Heritage Legacy ID: 279739
Location: Hemingstone, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP6
Civil Parish: Hemingstone
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Hemingstone St Gregory
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
HEMINGSTONE LOWER ROAD
TM 15 SE
7/120 Stonewall Farmhouse
Farmhouse, c.1500. A 3-cell Wealden open-hall house. 2 storeys and attics.
Timber-framed and plastered; the recessed hall has 2 jettied cross-wings under
a single roof. The close-studding is fully-exposed with plaster infill
panels. Supporting brackets remain at the eaves, but brackets and pilaster
shafts beneath the jetties have been removed. The rear wall of the hall is
also recessed, a feature not normally found in Wealden houses in Suffolk.
Plaintiled roofs; a lower cross-wing to left is also plaintiled. An axial
chimney of c.1600 red brick with sawtooth shaft, and another of c.1600 (with
square shaft) at rear of cross-wing. C18 or early C19 small-pane casements
with transomes. C19 plaintiled gabled entrance porch with 6-panelled door, at
cross-entry position. The central open hall has an open truss with a cambered
tie-beam which has hollow-chamfered archbraces (one missing), rising from
polygonal shafts with moulded capitals. Above is a long octagonal crownpost
with moulded capital and 4-way braces. The roof has moderate smoke
encrustation, which is also found in the roof over the parlour cell,
apparently from a separate hearth. The fine close-studding has arch and
tension windbracing. A blocked rear cross-entry doorway with 4-centred arch.
An upper floor and attics were inserted, together with a chimney in the cross-
entry, c.1600. A bakehouse/dairy cross-wing was added to the left hand end
c.1600, with wind-braced clasped purlin roof. This wing reuses many major
components from an open hall house of c.1400; the building may even be in-situ
but remodelled. Mediaeval work includes part of an open truss, diamond
mullioned windows and arch windbraced studding.
Listing NGR: TM1516754249
Other nearby listed buildings