This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2615 / 52°15'41"N
Longitude: 1.032 / 1°1'55"E
OS Eastings: 607008
OS Northings: 266923
OS Grid: TM070669
Mapcode National: GBR TK6.3R0
Mapcode Global: VHKD9.TFX5
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 29 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1352478
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281600
Location: Cotton, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Cotton
Built-Up Area: Bacton
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Cotton
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
COTTON CHURCH ROAD
TM 06 NE
2/15 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. C14 with C15 clerestorey. Restoration of 1890 (tower) and
1903. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble with stone
dressings; the chancel and south aisle are rendered. Nave and aisle roofs
leaded, the chancel plaintiled. Square 3-stage tower with embattled parapet.
West face has heavy angle buttresses, between which is a very tall arched
opening, said to be of later date, to light the 3-light west nave window
(renewed). Above is a group of 3 trefoil-headed niches, with single niches at
this level to north and south. 2-light belfry openings with large louvres of
1890. 5-bay aisles have good original 2-light windows; 3-light windows to
east, one renewed. Very fine south doorway: jambs have 3 orders of shafts
with foliage capitals; moulded arch, the central order comprising a richly-
carved band of foliage; the hoodmould is enriched with similar foliage, and
has one large but mutilated corbel. The carving of the arch retains much
original colour. Fine original traceried doors. Good porch: flushwork panels
each side of entrance with remains of more elaborate flushwork above. Moulded
arch with foliage capitals. Intact 2-light side windows. 9-bay clerestorey
has 2-light windows divided by square flushwork panels. 3-bay chancel: 2-
light segmental-headed side windows, largely original; hoodmoulds with
finials, linked to form a string course. 5-light east window, the tracery
renewed. East end has flanking crocketted pinnacles below which are cusped
INTERIOR: 5-bay arcades have quatrefoil piers and moulded
capitals. Similar chancel arch, the capitals mutilated. Fine late C15 nave
roof in 10 bays, with alternate double hammer-beam and arched-braced trusses;
much enrichment, including brattishing, some of it renewed. Easternmost bay
boarded as canopy of honour. Aisle roofs largely renewed. Boarded chancel
ceiling, the roof also renewed. Fine piscina with enriched arch; a similar
triple arch over the adjoining drop-sill sedilia is only one-third complete.
In north aisle is an ogee-arched tomb recess. Font has octagonal bowl with
trefoil-arched panels; around the stem, which is not contemporary with the
bowl, are 8 human figures. Nave retains 14 simple medieval benches with flat
ends; one C15 bench has good carved poppyhead ends. Early C17 carved pulpit
and turned altar rails. Some medieval stained glass, notably in the heads of
4 north clerestorey windows. For further notes see Pevsner and church guide
by Roy Tricker.
Listing NGR: TM0700866923
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings