This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8636 / 50°51'48"N
Longitude: 0.598 / 0°35'52"E
OS Eastings: 582925
OS Northings: 110336
OS Grid: TQ829103
Mapcode National: GBR QYH.VBB
Mapcode Global: FRA D64T.GS8
Entry Name: Marianne House
Listing Date: 9 November 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1353255
English Heritage Legacy ID: 294177
Location: Hastings, East Sussex, TN35
County: East Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Old Hastings
Built-Up Area: Hastings
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Hastings St Clement and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 82 10
OLD LONDON ROAD
Formerly listed as No 77 (Hastings Lodge)
Formerly listed under LONDON ROAD
House and hotel; later convent school. South wing is house of 1827 built by
Mr North, later Lord North the MP for Hastings and birthplace of his daughter
Marianne North the noted botanical illustrator, the north wing is a later C19 spa
hotel. South wing is stuccoed with incised lines with slate roof. Overhanging
bracket eaves cornice. 3 storeys and basement; 4 windows. 2nd floor windows are
C20 casements in original openings. 1st floor has 3 12-pane sashes and ground floor
has 2 similar. Bands between floors. The principal feature is a large 2 storey
curved bow, the 1st floor having a tented canopy and 4 light window with French
windows and marginal glazing. 6 cast iron columns and elaborate cast iron balcony.
Ground floor has similar windows with marginal lights and most unusual louvred
vertical shutters with 4 grooves, later doorcase. Attached to right side ground
floor is a 1 storey pedimented function room with blank tablet and pilasters.
Attached to the north is a later C19 former spa hotel, stuccoed with hipped slate
roof. Front elevation is of 2 storeys and attics 3 windows. Central 3 light dormer
and 2 2-storey canted bays round headed porch with pedimented porte-cochere. Rear
elevation wing to drop in ground is of 3 storeys and basement with similar 2 storey
canted bays tile hung between floors and round-headed openings to ground floor.
Earlier wing has staircase with 2 turned balusters to each step and mahogany
handrail, round-headed stair light with marginal glazing and round-headed niche to
2nd floor. The Dining Room has mid C19 vine leaf cornice and ceiling rose and the
music room has a c1860 marble fireplace. The function room has pilasters. Series
of original patent air vents the former spa hotel has an imperial staircase with
wooden baluster and a round-headed stained glass panel with peacock, a similar one
with doves and a linette with pears and apples. The original spring was filled in
but the tiled plunge bath area remains. Visitors to the North house included Edward
Lear and the house is shown on early prints including one showing the entrance of the
Duchess of Kent and Princess Victoria into Hastings in 1834.
Listing NGR: TQ8292510336
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings