This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7685 / 50°46'6"N
Longitude: 0.1945 / 0°11'40"E
OS Eastings: 554848
OS Northings: 98840
OS Grid: TV548988
Mapcode National: GBR MV4.N0W
Mapcode Global: FRA C791.TWM
Entry Name: Friston Place
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1353299
English Heritage Legacy ID: 295129
Location: East Dean and Friston, Wealden, East Sussex, BN20
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: East Dean and Friston
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: East Dean with Friston
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
FRISTON JEVINGTON ROAD
TV 59 NW 27/24 13.10.52
This house was originally called Beechington. The oldest portion was built
by the Potman family in the early C15. Later in the C15 it passed to the
Selwyn family who occupied it until 1704. It was altered and enlarged by
them in the C16 and C17. It is a timber-framed building but the timbering
with plaster infilling is only exposed in the north wall. The majority
of the building is now faced with flints with stone quoins. Tiled roof.
Casement windows with stone mullions. Three storeys. The south front has
6 windows irregularly placed and a chimney breast of flints with stone quoins.
Two similar chimney breasts on the north wall.
The east or entrance front dates from the mid C17 when the house was extended
a few feet in this direction. Red brick. Stringcourse above each floor.
Four windows. Four gables with carved bargeboards. Casement windows with
wooden mullions and transoms. The first window bay from the right projects
and was built out beyond the original doorway, which is now inside the house
but retains its old hinge and a bar running into a slot. Over the outer
doorway are stones with the initials and dates "T.S,1613" and "P.S.1634".
These date-stones were actually removed from the Stables and inserted in
this front by J A Maitland about 1896. But the east front of the house
probably was built about this time by Thomas Selwyn, who died in 1613, or
by his grandson Frederick Selwyn, who died in 1664. The Hall to the left
of the main entrance in the east front has a king-post roof. One room has
Listing NGR: TV5484898840
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings