History in Structure

1-7, Draymans Mews, St Pancras

A Grade II Listed Building in Chichester, West Sussex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.8377 / 50°50'15"N

Longitude: -0.7696 / 0°46'10"W

OS Eastings: 486735

OS Northings: 104957

OS Grid: SU867049

Mapcode National: GBR DGS.J7R

Mapcode Global: FRA 968W.J0B

Plus Code: 9C2XR6QJ+35

Entry Name: 1-7, Draymans Mews, St Pancras

Listing Date: 24 April 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1354389

English Heritage Legacy ID: 300320

ID on this website: 101354389

Location: Chichester, West Sussex, PO19

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester

Civil Parish: Chichester

Built-Up Area: Chichester

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Chichester St Pancras

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in


SU 8604

1-7 Draymans Mews

(Formerly listed as No 112A)


Maltkiln. Dated 1803, and mid C19; altered. Kiln of red brick in Flemish bond with Welsh slate roof; adjoining building, dated 1803, of red brick with blue headers in Flemish bond, with irregular bonding to left return and tile-hung gables, plain tile roof; added range of pinkish brick in Flemish bond with plain tile roof. Kiln, square on plan, linked at rear to adjoining 2-storey, 5-bay building, with added range set back on right of 1 storey, 3 bays. Kiln: inserted board door under concrete lintel on north west side; half-way up on south-west and north-east sides a timber plate, and the latter side has round end plates of 2 ties; pyramidal roof, cowl removed. 1803 building; segmental header-brick arched windows to ground floor, square-headed 1st floor windows set below stepped dentilled eaves, all windows blocked or boarded up; north-east side has 2 ground floor windows and 3 above, with datestone between 2 on left inscribed: "C" T&A June 1803. half hipped roof. Rear has 4 windows to ground floor, 3 above. Left return has a small ground floor window and right return an inserted doorway. Added range, on right, mid C19, has entrance with double door flanked by windows on right, another window to left, openings with segmental header-brick arches and windows bricked up; stepped dentilled eaves; blocked openings in rear wall; in right return wide inserted folding garage door. Interior: drying floor removed from kiln, but doorway remains at upper level giving access from adjoining range. This has 1st floor and loft floor removed, the loft formerly carried on the large scantling cross-beams, with boarded walls and ceiling; collared principal rafter roof trusses with plank ridge piece and staggered butt purlins. Added range formerly had loft floor similarly supported, queen post and queen strut roof trusses. The kiln and added range are both later than the 1803 range, but this range appears to have served a maltings function and the present kiln probably replaces an earlier, similar structure.

Listing NGR: SU8673504957

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.