This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8289 / 50°49'44"N
Longitude: -0.8594 / 0°51'33"W
OS Eastings: 480429
OS Northings: 103885
OS Grid: SU804038
Mapcode National: GBR CFB.ZH5
Mapcode Global: FRA 962X.50R
Entry Name: The Parish Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 5 June 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1354443
English Heritage Legacy ID: 300622
Location: Bosham, Chichester, West Sussex, PO18
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Bosham
Built-Up Area: Bosham
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Bosham Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
BOSHAM HIGH STREET
SU 8003/8103 (north side)
The Parish Church of the
5.6.58 Holy Trinity
Chancel with north vestry, nave with aisles, south porch and west tower with
broached shingle spire. C13 crypt. Built of Mixon stone, Top Chalk, sarsen stone and Quarr stone rubble with tiled roof.
This is one of the most famous and distinguished medieval churches in Sussex.
It may be built on the site of a Roman basilica. The main portion of the
chancel is Saxon but was extended to the east in the late C12 and the vestry
was added about 1200. The tower also is Saxon, except the top storey which
was added in the C15. The nave is C13, the south porch C14. [Double
trefoil-headed piscina and font of c.1200, octagonal with 4 corner shafts.]
Recess in south aisle having C15 flat cinquefoil-headed arch with carved
heads at the end of the cusps. Early C14 effigy west side of chancel. One
of King Canute's daughters is said to have been buried here.
Listing NGR: SU8042603886
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings