History in Structure

Stephens Cottage Tudor Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Cocking, West Sussex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.9499 / 50°56'59"N

Longitude: -0.7511 / 0°45'3"W

OS Eastings: 487829

OS Northings: 117457

OS Grid: SU878174

Mapcode National: GBR DFG.8YJ

Mapcode Global: FRA 969L.R6X

Plus Code: 9C2XW6XX+WH

Entry Name: Stephens Cottage Tudor Cottage

Listing Date: 26 November 1987

Last Amended: 9 January 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1354663

English Heritage Legacy ID: 301599

ID on this website: 101354663

Location: Cocking, Chichester, West Sussex, GU29

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester

Civil Parish: Cocking

Built-Up Area: Cocking

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Cocking with West Lavington

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Tagged with: Cottage

Find accommodation in


In the entry for:

29/7 Tudor Cottage
The entry shall be amended to read:

29/7 Tudor Cottage and
Stephens Cottage
House. Early C17 timber framed building refaced and extended in C19 and altered
in C20. 2 storeys and attics 3 windows. West front is of painted brick the
1st floor tile-hung. Tiled roof with off central brick stack and end cemented
stack. 2 modern casement windows. South front of Stephens has an early C19
2 storey rendered extension to left with tiled gable and end brick stack with
1 C20 casement and 1 C20 low window. To right refronted in brick in English
bond, above rendered and tiled C20 casements. East front has original door
surround and modern porch. North front has deep catslide roof with C20 hipped
1 bay extension rising through it. Interior of Stephens has exposed square
framing with midrail. Lounge has 2 inch chamfered spine beam with lamb's
tongue stop. Brick open fireplace with wooden bressumer. Fine late C17
corner cupboard. Fine early C17 staircase with square newel post with polyhedron
finial and panelled cupboard opposite with cock's head hinges. Over the stairs
is a small plank door leading to a loft in the outshut probably originally
an apple store. Roof has collar beams and through purlins with slightly curved
tension braces. The early C19 extension has a corner cupboard of c.1820.
Interior of Tudor Cottage not seen. Records show that the building was let
to the rector in 1660.


29/7 Tudor Cottage
House. C17 or earlier timber-framed building with red brick and flint infilling,
now partly tile-hung. Two tile-hung gables with plaster below them. Tiled roof
with pentice to north. Two storeys. Three windows. (Casement windows).

Listing NGR: SU8782717457

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.