This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8946 / 54°53'40"N
Longitude: -1.5736 / 1°34'24"W
OS Eastings: 427445
OS Northings: 555622
OS Grid: NZ274556
Mapcode National: GBR KCGV.36
Mapcode Global: WHC44.S7VK
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 1 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355096
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303767
Location: Gateshead, DH3
Electoral Ward/Division: Birtley
Built-Up Area: Chester-le-Street
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Birtley
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 25 NE BIRTLEY BIRTLEY LANE
12/3 (east side)
1.2.67 Church of St. John
Parish church. 1849-50 by Pickering. Snecked tooled sandstone, blue Lakeland slate
roofs. Aisleless nave, west tower flanked by single-storey half-octagonal ended proj-
ections, south porch; double-gabled transepts; short one-bay chancel with apse. North
of chancel a small semi-circular-ended chapel and a plain vestry. Norman style. Round-
headed windows, mostly with roll mouldings and nook shafts with scalloped capitals.
Corbel table to panelled sections of 3-bay nave. Paired transept windows have
round openings with chevron moulding above. Corbel table also around chancel.
2-stepped plinth; sill and impost bands. Tower of 4 stages with round window
in lowest stage similar to transepts, round-headed window above, clock face
in third stage and single bell opening in top stage; parapet resting on corbel
table. Main entrance in porch has stout chevron moulding and nook shafts
with scalloped capitals. The porch itself is a later addition, in Tudor style
of similar wall material and with a stone-flagged roof. Interior; plastered
and wainscoted to base of windows which have pronounced splay. Tall tower
arch, chancel arch and paired arches to transepts, all with chevron and bobbin
ornament and resting on scalloped capitals of round piers. Nave roof of arch-
braced collar beam and king-post type on long wood brackets on stone corbels.
Apsidal east end has 4 large engaged columns with scalloped capitals and roll-moulded
thick ribs. Chancel roof similar to nave and lower. Small wood rood screen.
East window depicting crucifixion; 2 memorial windows in north aisle, the latter
by Cottier and Co., dated 1872.
Listing NGR: NZ2744555622
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings