History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cathedral School

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bristol, City of Bristol

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4512 / 51°27'4"N

Longitude: -2.6009 / 2°36'3"W

OS Eastings: 358342

OS Northings: 172640

OS Grid: ST583726

Mapcode National: GBR C6L.RM

Mapcode Global: VH88M.VSWC

Entry Name: Cathedral School

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355157

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379306

Location: Bristol, BS1

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Hotwells and Harbourside

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Bristol

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5872NW COLLEGE GREEN
901-1/15/63 (South side)
08/01/59 Cathedral School
(Formerly Listed as:
COLLEGE GREEN
(South side)
Cathedral Church, Chapter House,
Cathedral School, Cloisters & Old
Deanery)

GV II*

Part of St Augustine's Abbey, founded 1140, containing the
refectory and a C13 right-hand archway, with upper walls early
C16, extensively altered and partly refaced late C18/early
C19.
MATERIALS: C12 red Pennant rubble with limestone dressings,
squared coursed rubble above, rendered rear with limestone
dressings, rubble ridge stacks and a slate roof.
PLAN: single-depth plan, formerly to the S side of the
cloister, with a SW vaulted through passage. Norman-style
gateway with Perpendicular Gothic style fenestration. The
former frater forms the left-hand half of the school building,
and had a courtyard to the right; to the rear was a lesser
cloister.
EXTERIOR: N elevation 3 storeys and basement; 4-window range.
The right-hand rubble section has a late C12 two-centre arch
of 3 orders with stiff leaf capitals to hollow-moulded arches,
an inner arch of cusped trefoil, and a doorway with shouldered
lintel and strap hinges; to the right is a weathered corbel
relating to the former cloisters, and to the left a blocked
entrance with straight joints. Early C16 windows are set in
flat-headed hollow-moulded frames, with mullions to ogee heads
with cinquefoils, and with small panel tracery upper lights on
the second floor.
The main section to the left is refaced in early C19 ashlar to
the lower 2 floors, symmetrical with drips to the ground and
first floors, with C16 second-floor windows, cornice and
parapet. Central Tudor-arched doorway with splayed reveals and
ridge door; 2 ovolo-moulded 3-light mullion windows each side
with octagonal leaded casements, with 3 paired first- and
second-floor windows, separated on the first floor by (C18?)
buttresses supported on corbels, and a 4-light window over the
arch.
The rear elevation is in 3 sections. Left-hand rubble 1-window
block has a restored basement doorway to the left with moulded
arch, 2 small lancets to the right; a drip mould half way up
the tall first-floor window, of 4 lights with 2 lower
transoms, and a smaller 4-light window above. The middle
section is rendered, 3 storeys and 7 windows, with drip moulds
to each floor and a roll-top coping. Four 3-light first-floor
windows have elliptical-arched heads, the right-hand pair with
leaded lights as the front. The upper floor has single windows
to the left, the rest paired, with those on the third floor
separated by buttresses. The right-hand section is a rubble 2
storey, 1-window range, with a tall elliptical-arched lower
cross window with cinquefoil-headed lights, and an upper
3-light window with sunken spandrels. The left-hand return has
a jamb from a C16 fireplace at ground-floor level.
INTERIOR: extensively remodelled C19. Details include a
vaulted passage at the rear to the right, with 2 Tudor-arches,
the W arch with moulded surround and an ashlar relieving arch
with a heraldic shield. The room above the C12 arch was an
open hall, now with a C20 mezzanine. A passage runs along the
front of the building, with a C19 open-well stair from the
entrance hall with cast-iron stick balusters and column newel.
The Headmaster's room has an Adam-style fire surround with
fluted mantle, cast-iron hob grate with pointed-arched
moulding, and to the left a semicircular-arched niche
cupboard.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the former frater forms the left-hand half of
the school building, and had a courtyard to the right. To the
rear was a lesser cloister.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and
Bristol: London: 1958-: 385; Archaeologica: 1911-).


Listing NGR: ST5834672641

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.