This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1926 / 52°11'33"N
Longitude: -1.8697 / 1°52'11"W
OS Eastings: 409000
OS Northings: 254940
OS Grid: SP090549
Mapcode National: GBR 3K8.G3Y
Mapcode Global: VHB0G.J4XY
Plus Code: 9C4W54VJ+34
Entry Name: Church of St Milburga
Listing Date: 1 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355369
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305138
Location: Wixford, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B49
Civil Parish: Wixford
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Exhall with Wixford
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
Church of St. Milburga
Church. C12 and C13. South chapel c.1400. Restored c.1881, timber porch and
bell turret probably of that date. Regular coursed lias with limestone
dressings and irregular quoins. Chapel has alternating thick and thin courses.
Old tile roofs, with some C20 tile to north, and C19 coped gables. Nave and
chancel in one, south chapel and porch, west turret. Medieval ribbed and
studded south door in corner between nave and chapel, set in Romanesque door-
way with simple arch and shafts with cushion capitals. Very simple Romanesque
north door, blocked. Nave has Early English lancets, one to south, 2 to west,
one to north-east. North side has two 2-light C19 Decorated windows. Single
west buttress. Turret with 2 Perpendicular traceried openings to each face.
Chancel has simple Decorated east window and a straight-headed 2-light
Decorated south window with hood mould, probably renewed. To the north one
lancet and a window of 2 tiny steep lancets with a shaft and head, cut from a
single block of yellow Campden stone, possibly C12 or earlier. Perpendicular
chapel with much restored 5-light east window, straight headed 2 and 3-light
windows and a small door to the south. Interior: boarded wagon roofs panelled
with thin ribs and carved bosses, and 2 decorative roof arches of thin
elaborate Gothic openwork to chancel, probably early C19. Chancel has
decorated piscina with plain canopy curving forward and nodding ogee arch
opening. Early C15 oak screens: lower part of chancel screen and part of side
screen to chapel survive and have moulded rail and muntins. C19 encaustic tile
floor. 2-bay Perpendicular arcade with octagonal piers to chapel. Chapel has
fragments of old stained glass re-set in windows. Piscina with embattled top.
Brass: chest tomb in centre of chapel with very fine brasses to Thomas de
Cruwe (died 1411) and his wife. Figures under ogee-headed canopies with
inscriptions, badges and coats of arms, all intact. Very finely detailed . Said
to be 'the finest brasses in the County' (Buildings of England). 2 small late
C16 memorial brasses. Nave has C19 font.
(V.C.H. Warwickshire III p.191; Buildings of England: Warwickshire pp. 475-476;
tlelly's Directory of Birmingham, Staffordshire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire
Listing NGR: SP0900054940
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings