This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0414 / 51°2'29"N
Longitude: -1.7412 / 1°44'28"W
OS Eastings: 418239
OS Northings: 126926
OS Grid: SU182269
Mapcode National: GBR 51P.QKV
Mapcode Global: FRA 767C.HGN
Plus Code: 9C3W27R5+HG
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 28 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355757
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319401
Location: Alderbury, Wiltshire, SP5
Civil Parish: Alderbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Alderbury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 12 NE ALDERBURY TUNNEL HILL
5/21 Church of St. Mary
Anglican parish church. On site of Medieval church, 1857. By S.S.
Teulon. Flint with ashlar quoins, tiled roof with coped verges and
finials, spire with Welsh slates. Consists of north west tower,
south porch, 6-bay nave, north aisle, chancel and transepts with
north west vestry. North gabled porch is timber-framed on flint
and stone plinth, doorway has pointed moulded arch with single
shafts either side. To right are two nave windows: geometric
tracery and two trefoiled lancets to west side. Chancel has large
3-light east window with geometric tracery and hood mould with
unfinished terminals, north and south windows are trefoiled
lancets. To north is registry room with shouldered-arched
chamfered door and 2-light square-headed window. North transept or
chapel has gabled roof with two trefoiled lancets and 3-light rose
window to north, and trefoiled lancets to east and west sides.
North aisle has 2-light windows with geometric tracery and doorway
in pointed moulded arch with shafts either side string course
below windows. 3-sided stair turret to tower has shouldered-arched
doorway and lancets. 4-stage tower on north west corner is divided
by string courses at each stage, windows are geometric style to
1st, 2nd and 3rd stages with heavy 2-light pointed windows with
central column to 4th stage. Four gables to 4th stage with broach
spire above, spouts with foliage carving.
Interior: 6-bay nave has arch braced collar trusses to roof, on
fine foliated corbels, pointed arcade on cylindrical columns,
windows all with polychrome brick voussoirs. 3-bay north aisle has
arch-braced collar roof. North and south transepts have collar
rafter roofs. Chancel arch is C13 style with foliated capitals to
three columns either side and angel terminals to hood mould. 3-bay
chancel has arch-braced collar roof on foliated corbels. Wide
pointed arches either side lead to organ loft and vestry.
Fittings: Victorian pews and choir stalls. Screen behind altar is
in pink tiles with mosaic vine decoration. Good late C19 stained
glass including signed windows by Morris & Co Ltd in north transept
chapel; to Robert Hutchings died 1910, fine east window in Pre-
Raphaelite style to Countess of Radnor died 1879, and south
transept window glass by Clayton and Bell. Altar rails have square
wrought iron panels made up from Scott's screen removed from
Salisbury Cathedral 1960. Wall tablet on south side of chancel to
Thomas Stringer of Ivychurch died 1702, finely carved slate. A
tablet on the north side has initials RGM below a shield with date
(N. Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975).
Listing NGR: SU1823926926
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings