This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0658 / 51°3'56"N
Longitude: -1.7943 / 1°47'39"W
OS Eastings: 414511
OS Northings: 129630
OS Grid: SU145296
Mapcode National: GBR 51F.362
Mapcode Global: FRA 7649.DT0
Plus Code: 9C3W3684+87
Entry Name: 12, the Close
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355834
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318973
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
SU 1429 NE 4/50 28.2.52.
The Hall of the Vicars' Choral was presumably built on this site from the
earliest time of the Cathedral's foundation. Parts of the building probably
contain works of C13/C14 and C15. The present building externally would appear
to be C16-C17 and altered later. 2 storey and attic. Stuccoed gabled front
with C19 bargeboards and old tile roof. 4-light attic casement. Angular 1st
floor bay window with panelled apron and moulded cornice. 1 window 4 panes
wide on ground floor under bay. 6 panel (flush type) door with architrave
surround and small flat moulded hood, to right hand. Long range (the Hall)
at back with roof swept down to ground floor ceiling level. 2 3 light hipped
dormers. Portion tile hung with gable to south.
Internally in entrance passage a large 6 light wooden window with cusped lights,
probably reset, late C15 and C16. Tall stone entrance arch into screens passage.
To the left 3 low pointed arches into kitchen and offices. Other stone door
surrounds. In drawing room a fine C15 fireplace with quatrefoil panels, the
brackets and jambs partly renewed. Reset C17 panelling Part of roof structure
survive others encased. 2 trusses and windbraces between purlins, principals,
bracket and wall post. Attic has some timber partitions, some curved windbraces
All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.
Listing NGR: SU1451329622
Other nearby listed buildings