This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.111 / 51°6'39"N
Longitude: 1.0637 / 1°3'49"E
OS Eastings: 614545
OS Northings: 139093
OS Grid: TR145390
Mapcode National: GBR V05.CQF
Mapcode Global: VHLHD.DB6P
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St Radegund
Listing Date: 29 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356217
English Heritage Legacy ID: 175634
Location: Postling, Shepway, Kent, CT21
Civil Parish: Postling
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 13 NW POSTLING THE STREET (west side)
3/57 Church of St.
29.12.66 Mary and St.
Parish church. Late C11 or C12, C13 and C19. Restored 1896-7. Roughly
coursed stone and flint rubble with stone dressings. Plain tile roofs.
Shingled spire. West tower, nave, south porch, chancel. West tower: C13.
No stages, no plinth. Integral pilaster buttresses to west. Stone eaves
band. Splay-footed spire. Two C19 lancets to north and two to south of
belfry. Small rectangular louvred opening towards top of west face. Small
louvred lancet lower down to west and another to south. Moulded pointed-
arched west doorway. Nave: south elevation: late C11 or C12. Roughly
coursed flint with trends of herringbone stone-work. No plinth. One C19
lancet. One C15 two-light window with cusped ogee-headed lights, squared
head and hoodmould. South porch: 1825. Roughcast, with gabled plain-tile
roof. Round-headed outer doorway with datestone G.S. Inner doorway
pointed-arched and chamfered with broach stops. Chancel: late C11 or C12,
extended later (probably in C13). No plinth. North-east and south-east
angle buttresses. Two C19 trefoil-headed south lancets. C19 three-light
pointed-arched east window with hoodmould. 2 restored north lancets of
uneven size. Nave: north elevation: one buttress. Broad hollow-chamfered
lancet towards east. Small round-headed central window. C19 lancet
towards west. Interior: structure: chancel arch with late C11 or C12 nicked
and chamfered imposts and imprinted enrichment; arch pointed and chamfered,
rebuilt in C13. No tower arch. Moulded rere-arches to north nave lancets.
Roof: crown-post roof to nave with four moulded octagonal crown-posts on
moulded tie-beams. Sous-laces, ashlar-pieces and moulded cornice. Similar
roof to chancel, but with renewed crown-posts. Fittings: piscina towards
east end of south wall of chancel with renewed trefoiled head. Very small
trefoil-headed opening in north wall opposite. Pointed-arched opening to
east end of south wall of nave. Chamfered segmental-headed opening to north-
west end of chancel. Font with deep rectangular tapering stone bowl on five
shafts with bell bases. Stumps of moulded, coloured beams on stone corbels;
north and south ends of rood beam towards east end of nave, and south end of
a beam half way down chancel. Chamfered, uncoloured stump, also on corbel,
about ½ metres to east of last beam. Small dedication stone to north wall of
chancel giving date (14th August) but not year; a rare survival. Decoration:
fragments of C12 wall-painting to south-west corner of nave; frieze of zig-zag
bands with stylized flowers to angles, and key exposed above. Further
fragment, probably C17, superimposed on west wall. (J. Newman, B.O.E. Series,
North-east and East Kent, 1983.)
Listing NGR: TR1460239032
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings